sigh.... a fox was here...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LearningToFly, Jan 5, 2013.

1. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    We've been keeping chickens since 2007, maintaining a little flock of around 6 layers. Last year, our oldest girl died. It was sad, but it was expected.

About a half hour ago, we had our first predator loss. A fox killed our "lead hen" Lucy. She would have been 5 this May. It is just a shock.

We've had other predator attempts: other foxes (can tell they are different from their color), a neighbor dog, and a very persistent juvenile Cooper's hawk. And I get the whole nature thing. Foxes gotta eat, too, and this is a lean season.

Still, somehow it seems sort of.... sad.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If no dog to help, then confine birds for a few days. If no action intended against fox such as trapping or shooting, then consider a small chicken tractor that will provide many of the benefits of free-range yet better control over losses to predators.

3. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    We had a fox take out our hole flock 2 years ago..well it was more than 1 fox..i had to bring the boyfriend to work that day..i forgot to shut the coop door before i left...as i was pullung out of the drive way i saw 1 sitting across the road..and i had a horrible feeling..came back and i had birds everywhere!! very very sad..they just killed alot of them..but some i never found..got my oldest roo that survived 3 fox attacks at our old house aswell..
    Sorry for your loss!! I wont trap or shoot any fox, i dont believe in it..they lived here before i moved in..so its my duty to keep my birds penned up and safe..its not the foxes fault i moved in and brought their prey with me.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    It is sad, isn't it? Nature has a plan but I hate that plan when my pets are involved.
    Sorry for your loss.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am not self defeating with respect to predators making their living not do I like seeing others that are. You can with proper management keep your birds relatively safe and have wildlife. Partionations, repellents and vigilance go a long way towards keeping all going well.

6. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    I figure we've had a good success rate - almost 6 years now, and only one predator loss. Still, I hate for things to end that way for one of our hens.

We regularly see foxes but lately the frequency is increasing. And apparently our 60lb dog's presence is no deterrent. Neither is the presence in the yard of one of children. So, we plan to do a few more things to deter the foxes.

Not angry at the fox - can't blame him for taking a meal when he can get it. But it was kind of shocking to be dealing with that today.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The dog has to be more than simply present to deter fox. My dogs have actually chase it to make it leave and near captures scare it from visiting for a few weeks at a time. They will also hunt with you present so people not a good deterrant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by