Sigh, another bum leg thread

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davep763, Dec 23, 2013.

1. davep763

davep763 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    We have 3 hens about 8 months old, the Buff Orpington (Short Stack) started limping about a month ago. She used to run everywhere with the other chickens but started to slow down because it's like her right leg kind of buckled underneath her. So she stopped running and just kind of plodded along after the other chickens. 2 days ago I noticed her not being able to put any weight on her right foot and now her toes are kind of curling on that foot.

No obvious injury to her leg (broken or otherwise). She's eating and drinking normally and just yesterday I started giving her Vitamin B complex and a pill of children's aspirin. I have her in a small pet carrier with bedding. Everything else seems basically fine. No other symptoms exhibited by the other 2 hens.

I've read a lot on here but it seems like this is the only way of dealing with it? I know I should've probably isolated her earlier but it didn't look like it was hurting her until 2 days ago.

Any advice from the Chicken Masters?

Thank you in advance!
    Dave

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you examined the bottom of her foot for an infection? It's called "bumble foot", caused by staph germs infecting a cut on the pad of the foot. You will need to get rid of the infection, probably with antibiotics, and maybe surgery. It will cause lameness and possibly death.

If the foot looks normal, no black blister spots, then look for bruising on the leg. It may appear gray or greenish on the scales. It could signify a sprain or fracture.

3. davep763

Feb 25, 2013
    I didn't notice anything that would indicate bumble foot. My initial thoughts are that it's a sprain that has gotten progressively worse. I'm saying that because it's been about a month since I initially noticed it. I would think a fracture would be immediate? Or I guess she could've had a slight fracture and when she used it without healing properly it just became worse.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help!

Dave

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This summer my three-year old Brahma roo broke his leg dismounting his roosting perch. At first, he could walk on it, but it got worse over the next couple weeks until he couldn't even stand. He gradually lost his appetite and I had to put him down.

The first thing I noticed was a slight greenish discoloration just above his spur. Over time, it became more yellowish. There was no obvious swelling, but there was no doubt that he was in a great deal of pain. That's why I ended his suffering.

Your hen may have had a fracture that has become more serious. You might try wrapping it in vet wrap and see if that relieves some of her pain. I hate to tell you, and you've probably already reached this conclusion, it would show signs of healing by now if it was going to.

I understand how helpless you're probably feeling. There really isn't much else you can do. I'm so sorry.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check up and down the leg and joints for any unusual swelling even upwards to the top of the thigh. Viral arthritis (also called tenosynovitis) and mycoplasma synoviae can cause leg problems and limping. also look for any discoloration in the leg that might be a break, and try splinting as azygous said. Someone on BYC used a padded finger splint as a leg splint for a chicken. Here are 2 links for reading:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/164/viral-arthritis
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis

6. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I get one limping like that and think it is arthritis infection the best luck I have had is to isolate them and keep them on antibiotics for at least 8 to 10 days in the water. I initially start with tylan 50 3 cc per gallon of water then I will crush them up some boiled eggs with oatomeal and sprinkle tetracycline powder on them and feed them some of that too. The more antibiotics the better whenever it involves infection in the bone. Sometimes I get them well with this and sometimes it doesn't work. If it is viral of course the antibiotcis won't work. Anyways I always try to get them well and go from there. If you think there is infection in the scales of the foot rub the foot down with some triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin. It helps get rid of the mites in the scales anyways. Good luck

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I also give them shot too of tylan 50 and penicillin mixed together. I mix them because tylan is destructive to tissue if not mixed. I put 1 cc of tylan 50 with 2 cc of penicillin in syringe and mix with syringe back and forth to mix it then i give a big bird a 1 cc injection under the skin on the breast. and use the other on another bird. 1 mix will do 3 birds shots

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A viral arthritis will not responds to antibiotics. Mycoplasma synoviae would, however. Tylan 50 is for injection into the muscle, and dosage would be 1/4 ml-1 ml daily depending on the size of the chicken. Some do give it orally, but it is given by mouth, not mixed in water, but it is not as affective or as quickly absorbed as an injection.

9. davep763

Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you all for your wisdom, I will look at her leg more closely tomorrow morning and see what I can see...you've given something tangible to go on, thank you!

Of course, she's our favorite (aren't the injured ones always the favorites?). :)

I'll keep you posted.

10. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by