1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*sigh*Broody relieved of her peafowl duty...(some slight venting)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolf-Kim, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was in the coop letting my broody-butt out of her nesting cell. She came out and did her usual business. A quick run to the water bucket, even though she had one 4 inches in front of her beak. A romp in the shaded dirt, a good dust bath too with dirt flying a good 2-3 feet. And, of course, she relieved her self. Having taken care of business she flew up to a roost and began "be-be-be-kaw"ing as loud as she could.

I assumed she was finished and I didn't want those precious 6 peafowl eggs to cool too much. So I grabbed her from her lofty perch and placed her at the dog-kennel door and waited for her to indignantly walk in and take her place on her straw-throne. She took her sweet time, she is queen of this domain of course. Slowly walk around the nest and examines her clutch of over-sized eggs. Now for the squat and snuggle that I enjoy watching so much. She lifts one of her feet to position it and...

steps right on top of one of the eggs. SMASHING IT!!! I couldn't believe it. I was ticked. To add insult to injury, I could see those precious blood vessels, now leaking all over the nest and it's sibling eggs. I fling the door open as the hen is hurriedly eating the yolk and blood. I snatch the other eggs, now just 5, and cradle them in my white cotton shirt. Whiping as much of their sibling off of them as I could. All five eggs in my shirt, cradled against my stomache, I hurry to my truck. In I jump carefully laying the eggs in the flannel jacket sprawled in the passenger seat, I cover them with another shirt. Crank my truck, turn off the air conditioning, and haul it home.

7 miles is the distance from Adam's house to mine. Trying to do 5 miles over the speed limit and of course every slow moving thing is directly in front of me. *sigh* In my head I'm trying to calculate the odds. Broody-butt was off the nest for at least a whole five minutes and now they have slight remnants of the other egg covering them. I can't wash them, they are almost a week incubated. My friend, who so graciously gave me to eggs, is always talking of how hard they are to hatch compared to the other birds she has raised over the years.

Pull into the driveway, load all the eggs back into my shirt, and hurry into the house. Knowing that the old Little Giant is still kicking in my room with chicken eggs in it. Luckily there was room, as I was slowing down in my hatching. Lift the lid and gently, almost lovingly, place the eggs in the incubator. Wishing them well, I leave the room to cool off and wander what their chances are now.

[​IMG] What do ya'll think? Those egg still have a chance? Did I do the right thing?

Sorry for boring ya'll. I'm still just a little upset, not terribly upset, but I was truly looking forward to being a proud peafowl owner. It's just dissapointing and I needed to tell someone about it...

-Kim

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    You should write a story. The suspense was killing me. I don’t know about your chances. (I'm new at this, sorry) I’m wishing you well and good luck. Good vibes coming your way.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think 5 mins is definatly not to long at all some breeds even require you to cool the eggs a bit every day to simulate what a mother would do in the wild. I say have broody chicken dinner just my opinion. She might start eating eggs also :mad: if that happend you know who it is !

Happy hatching glad you had the bator cranking,
    Henry

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Oh, I hope they do alright. I had thought about her starting egg-eating too. I'll wait and see if I can hold off for another 2-4 months. I have pullets due to start laying in a few months. I'll see, if she becomes a serious egg-eater, I'll just have to become a serious broody-eater. I still can't believe she did it, the clutz. I may let her try again later with some less-valuable chicken eggs. We'll see, I don't know, I have plenty of Dorkings I could use as broodies.

I appreciate it. I was also glad it was hot out today(upper 90's) so they wouldn't have had the chance to cool down too much. I guess I can only wait a few days and then candle. Pray for the best. I was and still am excited about the peafowl. I'm hopeful.

I'm glad I had the bator running too. If one thing went right in the whole fiasco it was that.

-Kim

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by