*sigh* Candled duck eggs tonight..day 14..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NYRIR, May 19, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Out of 12 mallard eggs...6 are still alive...looks like the other 6 died at day 9-10.Anyway, 2 of the eggs have black spots in them (not the ducklings) it looks to be bacteria....what should I do? Leave them in there (they are still alive ) ? Or take them out? I only have one bator so I can't put them in another one.I'm afraid that when they hatch 9if they do) they'll contaminate the whole batch. Does anyone know what I should do?
    Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    As long as there is no odor I would leave them in. It's pretty common for duck eggs to get a mottled look to them.

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Really? One has black spots the size of a pencil eraser.The other has a much bigger spot.Definitely not part of the duckling....think they'll be ok? No...no odor.

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Someone said it's from the duckling scratching a blood vessel and breaking it. Mine get blotchy and most of them are fine.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:This can happen towards hatching- but not at only half way through incubation- the claws in the feet have only just started to begin to form in the few days previous - so would be unlikey to be breaking blood vessel. It could be a little blood or cells from the ducks reproductive tract as the egg was forming. It would be starting to rot inside the egg now if thats what it is - giving the appearance of the small black mass.

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:This can happen towards hatching- but not at only half way through incubation- the claws in the feet have only just started to begin to form in the few days previous - so would be unlikey to be breaking blood vessel. It could be a little blood or cells from the ducks reproductive tract as the egg was forming. It would be starting to rot inside the egg now if thats what it is - giving the appearance of the small black mass.

duckyfromoz...there were a few I threw out that had larger dark masses.They appeared "cloudy" and were not developed after day 9-10.The vessels in those were unclear and not "attached" looking...if that makes sense.These two are still alive and moving.So if that's what it is....how should I handle that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by