Sigh* day 28 and nothing hope there ok

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirlforever18, Jul 1, 2011.

1. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Its day 28 for my turkeys and nothing hope there ok do turkeys take longer to hatch? And do I have the ten and humidity right? Temp is 99 and the humidity is 73 I think that's too high is it?

2. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    same for me except mine are ducks [​IMG]

3. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:Lol

4. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    [​IMG] keeping my fingers crossed for you too. i hate the waitng thing it drives me nuts [​IMG]

5. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have only tried to do turkeys once but I think they take 28 days don't they? I would give them more time. Good luck

Did you try and candle them before lock down or couldn't you see anything?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    The humidity is too high -- I'm having really good luck with hatching turkeys at around 55% -- they pop right out very vigorous. Last year at higher humidity, around 65 to 70 % as recommended by the manufacturer, a couple of the poults were large, soft, and floppy, one died in the egg another after 3-4 days, couldn't walk and was all "twisty".

But, in terms of not seeing anything yet, first off, did you count your first day as "day 1" -- I don't, I consider the day I set the eggs to be "day 0", 24 hours later starts "day 1" and that has basically worked out to correlate pretty well with when they will start to pip externally -- most of them then take about 18 to 24 hours to hatch. Also, they tend to pip externally, then just sit there like nothing is happening, and then all at once start to unzip the egg and pop out in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

You should candle the eggs and see if you see an internal pip -- I can guarantee you that you won't cause them to shrink wrap if you do this relatively quickly on a few, not leaving the incubator open more than a couple of minutes tops, especially if its been "soupy" in there. You should see a dark mass occupying about the bottom 60% of the egg, and the beak sticking up in the air cell, and it should move around a bit.

8. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:its day 28 and i did not count the first day as day 1 OMG i hope there not dead [​IMG] and i candled this after noon and nothing in the air sack but i could still see vains oh god i hope i didnt kill them [​IMG]

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] Any up dates? [​IMG]

10. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    they didnt make it it didnt get to the air sack [​IMG] but i will try again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by