Sigh.... Flooded coop (a whine)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by justmeandtheflock, Dec 26, 2009.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Woke up this morning to no water in the house and a flooded coop. Poor birdies!!! [​IMG] The pressure valve went on our expansion tank and when hubby was tinkering with it it blew apart the pipes out in the coop. Luckly it is about 40 degrees out today so not freezing but it is raining. I had to cram all of my babies into a cage that is way too small for all of them to get them out of the water but atleast they are under the heat lamp so they can dry up and get warm. I dug all the sopping wet shavings out and I am waiting for all the water to drain out now while I defrost by the wood stove. I slipped on the ice while I was carrying a bucket of shavings out to the compost pile and landed on my side on the bucket. The bucket shattered and I am expecting a big bruise on my side!!! Then I switched to a plastic bin to move the shavings and I splashed the poo water in my face when I hit a bump sliding it out. [​IMG] I'm just happy this happened today and not yesterday but how am I ever going to get the coop dried out in this weather? Thanks for listening to my whine [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh man, what a mess to deal with!
    Hope you are able to get the coop dried out quickly! [​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:when you can get some crushed lime from a local rock quarry.. Its very gritty but good at drying up an area...

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG]

5. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Bless your heart. [​IMG]

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] I am clean and warm now and the coop finished draining and has fresh shavings. My chicks were very happy to get out of that time cage. I had 7 babies in there until last week when they outgrew it. Today I crammed those 7 plus 6 more that are much bigger in there but better crammed, warm and dry than cold and wet and it was only for a few hours. They are so funny when they 1st get let out with their little rooster games and flying up onto my shoulder. I think my broody got a little stressed out by all the action out there. I opened her cage and she flew out onto an outside roost and stayed there until I brouhg her back in. Poor girl [​IMG] I need to go back out and make sure she settled back down. Her eggs are due in 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by