Sigh. Humidity again.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, Jan 25, 2010.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have a whole bunch of eggs in the 1588 Genesis, and the humidity is staying right where I want it, between 50 and 60,

BUT

I have 8 eggs in the LG, and more coming soon, and darn, the LG just will not go up above 40. I have the humidity in the room up to 55, so why isn't the humidity in the Little Giant higher?

I have the troughs filled with water, I have two little bowls in there, I have a wet paper towel in there. I misted it.

Sheesh. Where does all the water go?

Thanks

Catherine

2. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    That was one of the reasons I took my LG back and waited for a Hovabator on order. The water wells are soooo small. See if you can find some small dishes or plates that will fit under the mesh in the bator that you can fill, keep sponges in water in dishes on top, try running a humidifier in the room. Fingerscrossed for ya!

3. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thank you, Painted Spirit. I will take that advice.

I do have the Genesis, but, well, I filled it up...So I have to use the LG for a few eggs. But I still want them to have a chance too!

Catherine

4. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I have used a wet cotton sock with good results.

5. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Maybe your hygrometer is on the fritz? Just a thought. Do you use the same unit for both bators? If not, maybe it's time to either calibrate the one for the LG, or get a new one for it. I think I'd at least check it out before running off to buy a new one though. [​IMG]

6. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think the hygrometer is ok. I did put a wet washcloth in one little bowl and it came right up! Thanks for the advice.

While we are on the subject of humidity I have another question.

The humidity in the Genesis has gone down a little. I need to add water. The egg turner is in there, and of course now I cannot see where the little troughs are.

How do you all add water into the Genesis if an egg turner is in there? Gosh, gosh, it is so complicated to hatch an egg...I do have some Silkie eggs ordered, so if they hatch out, perhaps I will have some hens to do it for me!

Although I really do enjoy it so much.[​IMG]

Catherine

7. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I have a LG. I don't mess with the troughs after I load it with eggs. I use sponges and just quickly remove them twice daily and load them with HOT water. Does yours have a fan? If not, it will be a constant struggle with humidity.

8. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:I had this same question a few weeks ago. Take a syringe and a straw and poke it through the port hole on top down through the turner. Works great!! Mike

9. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Mike, thanks.

Catherine

10. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:Your very welcome.Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by