1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*sigh* It was bound to happen sometime....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been working a part time college job for the past three years. For two years I worked under the same advisor and my job was to teach a biweekly class for alcohol infractions on campus. I loved the job and never had an issue with anyone I worked with. This past year the position of advisor switched hands and new people were hired to work along side me. One of the girls was given the title of project supervisor so I am supposed to answer to her. I didn't think any of it would be a problem, as I'm pretty easy going and the program was supposed to be the same. I would have the same responsibilities. However, now the project supervisor (Who has no experience with the program) has been claiming that I'm not answering her emails or committing to my responsibilities. I have spoken to my advisor a few times in private about these issues, but everytime I tried to speak directly with the project supervisor, she turned the discussion into an argument. Once I had to tell her I was not going to argue with her on the phone and that we would have to postpone the discussion. At the end of the semester things were much better. Now all of a sudden she's giving me more problems, and the spring semester hasn't even started yet.

I was hoping to find a job during winter break and save up enough money so I could quit this job at school. I wasn't able to find a job, so I am going to hang onto this one. I'm not overly worried about losing this job, but it frustrates me that things worked fine for two years and all of a sudden things are changing (and not for the better, especially for the future of this program!). I am not a quitter, so this is a difficult situation for me. I don't want to be fired, but I also don't want to quit if this project supervisor will be leaving next year for graduate school.

I know this is not really that big an issue, compared to the other things people have to deal with. It just helps to talk about it to an unbiased third party.

2. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    If you really need the job, I would suck up to her. In these situations you can either go to the person above her and complain or tolerate it (or quit, but thats not an option!)

Coworkers and especially people who are newly in power and trying to prove something or make you look bad are a dime a dozen.

I really think you should just be overly nice to her and grin and bear it with clenched teeth. I know it's not the best option, but what tends to happen is if you go to your superior detailing every single issue, they will tell her and it will just get worse for you. BUT on the other hand you do want to let the superiors know that there may be an issue but you want to try to work it out and that its not a big deal, you just want them to be aware. This depends on how much you trust your supervisors, I wouldnt say anything if I thought they might go back to her with it. However, you have more experience and should carry more weight no matter who is technically in charge.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Document, document, document. Create a folder on a zip and save every email you get from her and every answer you send back to her so you can prove that you DO respond to her emails. Document when you turn in jobs/timelines/whatever. Keep all correspondence professional and civil. Do not respond to any rude comments she sends, just ignore them (that alone will drive her up a wall). Document every minute of work you do - what time you start work, what time you clock out, keep your own records for EVERYTHING. If she continues to be out of line take all of your documentation and go above her head and file a complaint against her. If she's creating a hostile work environment and lying about your job performance you want to have proof when you go in there and ask that they address her and do something about it.

Good luck!

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Quote:Ditto. There is an old saying that i wont spell out only.... CYA

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys for all the great advice. I still have all of the emails that she has sent me over the past semester. The first time she decided to argue with me she started doing it over text messages and I asked her if I could just call her. She didn't want to talk to me on the phone, but I called her anyways. I'm not one to yell or be rude, but my most recent email had a frustrated tone. I apologized if I was not sending replies back in the correct format and that if she could explain the correct way, I would definitely follow it.

This job really isn't all that important. I'm only making about 25 extra dollars a week. Just enough for some gas or food really. I could probably find another on campus job if I really wanted to but I have always enjoyed this job! However, if this semester gets to be too much stress with this girl, I will not return for next year. The girl is talented with graphic design, but she seems to be unprofessional when we are tabling and I often see quite a bit of immaturity in her on the job. I've never said anything to the advisor though, but it certainly frustrates me. However, lately it seems as if she's been going to the advisor every single time she thinks I haven't resopnded to her emails! The only time it took me a little while to respond was when I was away (This was our christmas break afterall!) and I did not have access to a computer. My advisor text messaged me to say that "this girl" told her I hadn't replied to her email. I explained the situation and replied to the email shortly after the text message. I'm not being paid for this time over christmas break, so I can't understand why this girl expects me to reply immediately after she sends the email!

Oh well, I'm just going to let it go, "politely" respond to her emails, and deal with it when I can speak to her face to face at school. Thanks again for the advice.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm with the others, document EVERYTHING.

So, if a time comes when the higher ups as you what's going on then you can show them. Perhaps they will have a chat with her and settle things down.

It'd be great if everyone remembered the golden rule... but it's also good to try the walk a mile cliche too... there's no telling what kind of stress she's under. Either from classes, home life, this job, trying to find Grad school, feelers for after Graduation job, student loan payments coming due within six months of graduation... at least... those are things that my better have frets on...

Then again, she could just be a hateful *bleep*... don'tcha just love those people who get majorly PO'd if you don't email/text/call them back within 10 seconds... n'mind that they know perfectly well that you are in a meeting/class/car and cannot communicate? ARGH!

Best of Luck... whichever path you take... here's a spare (ha!) dose of comfort your way. *lobs a scoop of mashed potatoes*

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks pineapple mama!

She just replied to my latest email, telling me that a deadline is a deadline. I didn't break any deadline, so I don't understand what this is supposed to mean. I replied on Thursday that I would write articles for her newsletter and the deadline was sunday. Apparently she wanted a second confirmation from me, but didn't specify this. Soooo...I sent a pleasant little email (and yes, it was actually pleasant) telling her I would have the articles to her by the end of the day. The deadline is the 18th so I better not get another email explaining that I missed a deadline! Ugh.

Oh well...just one more semester.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you're feeling better! *puts on hold the plans for the meatloaf catapult*

Ohhh... one of those. The PTA Prez this year is using that kind of strong-arming vulture on your shoulder kind of "leadership"

It's driving volunteers nuts... and of course some of us aren't allowed to volunteer at all. Sure they take your application (note in previous years it was never referred to AS an application but a contact info and interest form) but it happens to get misplaced until after all 'jobs' are assigned... but, now that me (and some others) have seen the way she operates we're kinda glad she didn't take a liking to us... one mom is really really freaking, she's been harassed since last March about the event she got hustled into doing in FEBRUARY... they don't actually offer to help in any way, and if you ask they come up with some excuse, but then they keep asking her "Do you need help?" GAH! Oh, and when she mentioned that I was helping with one tiny portion this Prez said "Are you sure she's..." but my girl cut her off saying "She's the ONLY one willing to help so don't you even go there." How's that for a friend? Really, it's just a chapping situation... 'misplace' willing volunteers' apps, then complain that there aren't enough volunteers... *sigh* and it is the school, and the kids that are going to be hurt by it... so it really chaps.

How the devil did I get off on that rant? In any case, the point is (maybe?) that you just have to do what you can, the best you can, and try and survive the cranky temporary power mad idiots ... yeah, that sounds like a good point. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by