*sigh!* Round 2 of MALE or FEMALE? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by omi4500, Aug 5, 2014.

1. omi4500

omi4500 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Hello, BYC friends. I would again like to ask for your input & opinions about the sex of one of my teeny-boppers. In June, you were all very helpful (and correct!) in helping me determine that my BLRW was a rooster, and we rehomed him within a couple of weeks because we cannot keep roosters in our zoning. Boo! I thought that was our only roo.

Ironically, though, within days of the BLRW leaving, the flock dynamics noticeably changed - and my Delaware pullet (previously "middle of the pack") moved right up into alpha hen position - without even protest from my barred rock pullet (the one that had been the flock leader up until then). I didn't think too much of that as I figured things would change a bit after the BLRW left. However, I was away all last week on vacation, and when I came home I found that the Delaware's comb and wattle had deepened in color - and the comb itself had grown taller. Hmmmf. Now I'm worried we may have another wee roo on our hands... or is this just a pullet that is more developed than the others? I am SUCH a newbie still, but my gut says cockerel. What do you think? :)

FYI - I was told my babies were 1 week old on 4/27 when I bought them, so that makes them all about 15 weeks old now (this one never stops moving, so these are about as good of pics as I could manage via my iPhone this am). Thanks for taking a look!

Some head shots of "Oreo"...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some tail & back shots...
    [​IMG]
    In the pic below, it's hard to see but there is a small bit of smudging about midway between the collar and the tail:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would, of course, be thrilled if "Oreo" is a pullet - I really wanted a Delaware layer in my flock! *fingers crossed*

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I'm not very sure. I'd guess pullet.

3. omi4500

Mar 3, 2014
    Pullet would make me happy. Thanks for your feedback!

4. omi4500

Mar 3, 2014
    Oreo laid an egg this afternoon! The first for our flock. Guess THAT answers the pullet/cockerel question! :))

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Awesome! That is great to hear! Light brown?

6. omi4500

Mar 3, 2014
    Yep! [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me, too.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think she is a pullet.

9. omi4500

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks, guys! Oreo definitely turned out to be a SHE. She laid her first egg yesterday!! Woot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by