*Sigh* Selling snakes...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, May 14, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I've been trying to sell my two balls for awhile now. They were both shipped to me. The male ate right after being shipped and the female skipped. I have someone who is planning on picking them up this Saturday, but, I sent them an email to forewarn them about snakes skipping a feed after a major stress (shipping, traveling for two hours and getting a completely new home, etc), now they're "panicking" about it. I'm starting to wonder if I should rehome them or just hold onto them until someone else comes along. [​IMG] I'm a firm believer in researching anything before bringing it home. Long before I had them shipped to me, I knew about the stress making them skip feeding. I'm just in a toss-up. I really need to rehome these guys, but it's not worth it if the new owners aren't going to bother with research. Should I be turned off of the sale over this, or is it possible that they simply didn't "catch" that bit of info while researching, and really DO know enough to be a good new home? *Sigh* So... what would everyone else do in this situation?

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Buy a good informational book about Pythons as pets and give it to them when they pick up the snakes.
    I use to do this when re-homing Sugar gliders or ferrets.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    So are these guys total snake newbies? What is your gut telling you? I would do what you feel most comfortable with.....especially since these are snakes. So many people just are NOT suited to snake care. Seems they think they are more disposable than other pets. The people we got our pair of balls from THOUGHT they were taking care of them but they were extremely thin, covered in scars and fresh wounds from live food, and had patches of un-shed skin all over the male (including covering one eye). Sorry, I know this is really hard. Just be careful.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If these are people who have never owned snakes before, I would probably reconsider. There are plenty of great beginner snakes out there and ball pythons aren't for everyone, especially due to their large size and sometimes picky habits!

I usually try to go with my instincts in situations like this. Obviously you are having some reservations about rehoming these snakes with these people. That sounds to me like your mind is trying to tell you something. Don't feel bad about turning these people away because in the end it is that animals' lives that will really matter.

5. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Snakes can go months without food. Dont worry.

6. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

*so glad that someone clarified that she has been trying to sell two ball pythons for a while now.. Just couldn't get the thought out of my mind that folks unfamiliar with snakes would not read the first sentence as the writer intended.. * *phew*!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    [​IMG] I didn't even realise that I typed that! I typed snakes in the title so that I didn't have to type it over and over again in my posts, but I should have proof-read what I wrote before posting... Lol.

8. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG]

9. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm laughing so hard now. I didn't even read it that way since I've owned ball pythons in the past, but that just puts a different spin on it.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm surprised I didn't realize that until someone else mentioned it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by