Sigh...some things just make me wanna pull my hair out.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I typed up a post the other day, but decided not to post it because I didn't want to be whiney. Now I'm just frustrated.

I live with three other girls. For the most part everyone gets along. We have squabbles sometimes, but nothing major. Occasionally they make me wanna pull my hair out and I think this is turning into one of those times.

My one room mate has been sort of sour lately. Not really talking to me, watching movies really loudly and asking everyone to watch it with her except me, and shutting her door everytime I do something in the livingroom. It's kind of bizaare and has been going on pretty much ever since we got back to the school two weeks ago. Lately the big thing has been taking off shoes. Everyone else in the apartment takes their shoes off at the door and walks around in socks or bare feet. I like a clean floor, but I try not to annoy everyone by constantly nagging to keep the floor clean. Since we moved in after winter break, this room mate has been walking with her gross boots all through the apartment and tracking sand, salt, and water everywhere. I feel like I'm mopping and wiping up every day. I've asked her politely not to walk in the house with her boots on and I set up a nice little area with a rug to keep shoes by the door. Now she's just ignoring me when I ask and it's really getting on my nerves. It's getting to the point where the salt from the roads is starting to irritate my feet whether I wear socks or not.

Now I understand that people come from different backgrounds and this has been an issue in the past. I thought we had settled it though. We set the rule that everyone either takes off their shoes or cleans up immediately after walking through the apartment with them on. It almost seems like she's doing it now just to get under my skin, which is usually her tactic when she's mad about something. While I'd like to just ask her why the heck she's being like that, I feel like I would be giving in to her childish pouting. It's not my job to play mom. BUT, I'm getting really, really tired of cleaning the floor on a constant basis. In my opinion, everyone has to make compromises when living with other people. I've made several so the least she can do is take off her shoes at the door for the rest of us.

I have one more semester after this one, but the rest of my room mates graduate this semester. I'm crossing my fingers I get into a single dorm for my last semester and I will really, really enjoy living by myself, even if the room is the size of a small jail cell.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    maybe time for a "roommate meeting" to discuss things? Set ground rules for discussion first and without point fingers discuss how some actions make you feel. Remind everyone of the rules established before.

Sounds like your roomie is very passive agressive - I hope you get a single dorm room next semester...[​IMG]

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:That's what I'm thinking. We've been living together for three years but I've known her for four years. Usually we are friends, but she has a bad habit of just pouting and being nasty until she gets what she wants. Her mom does the same thing and she's always complaining about it.

Now I just have to figure out a way to get everyone together for a meeting without making it sound like I'm pointing my finger at her. Usually when we have roommate meetings she just sits there glaring at me. Passive aggressive is putting it nicely! LOL

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    One of my son's always had roomates. They always messed him over, even with housework or bill pay (or rent of course). I told him several times, the best roomate to get is a dog or cat. [​IMG]

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Can you get those slippers with the leather bottoms? and NOT clean up till everyone else gets torqued off too?

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:I just dug a pair of flip flop slippers out of my closet so I'll use those until I can get something better.

Last semester (before the snow and constantly icky ground) I just let the floor go because I got tired of cleaning. It would get soo gross with clumps of hair and pieces of dirt everywhere. I would cringe every time I went in the hallway. The sad thing was, nobody else cared. There would be huge clumps of hair or paper right in the middle of the floor and everyone just walked over it. I think I'll let it go for a bit now though. My other roommate did make a comment that she hated all the sand so maybe, finally, it might get someone else on my side.

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

"Yeah well with the yucky weather it is easy to track in, by the way- wanna go looking for some indoor foot protection with me?"

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Confront your roomie and see why she is acting this way towards you. In the least she will just deny the attitude and be more passive/aggressive.Don't clean up the floor.Walk around it.Buy slippers for indoor use.

Definitely put in a request to get a single room.I recall my dorm room at Kent state.First 2 times I shared with someone,but the rest of the time I had my little cell.Only thing I hated was not having my own shower/toilet,lol. It is soooo worth it to have your own space. My last year/semester I drove daily from home.

9. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    The little red demon on my left shoulder says you should start calling her by her mothers name.

The little white angel to my right agrees with Mattemma - always take the high road.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, thanks for the suggestions guys. Its so frustrating when this happens. Most of the time we all get along pretty well.

Last night she came back to the apartment from being home all weekend. Didn't say a word to me the whole night. I was on the couch and looked up to say hi and she didn't even look my way. I heard the "squeak, squeak, squeak" of her boots so I asked her to leave them by the door because they sounded wet. She then proceeded to spend the rest of her night in her room with the door closed, and didn't even come in to say good night before going to bed like she normally does. Ah well, we shall see what today brings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by