*sigh* Tail picking in 2 week old chicks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannalice, Jul 20, 2010.

1. hannalice

hannalice In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    So my chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old, and are starting to get into trouble. (Actually, it's the Minorcas and the Ideal 236's getting into trouble... high strung little buggers!) Checked the peeps at 2 this afternoon and everything was fine. Went up to check on them at 5:30 and found a Minorca and a 236 chick following one of my broiler chicks around, picking at his raw, bloody stump of a tail. >.< It'd just started to get it's tail feathers in, and I'm guessing someone grabbed a new feather and started it bleeding, which in turn made for an interesting game. [​IMG]

I have the broiler separated off in an indoor rabbit cage in the brooder so he can see everyone/be near the heat lamp. I'm loathe to put triple antibiotic cream on his poor little tail, but I don't see as I have very much choice in the matter. Just needed to vent a little. CHICKENS! [​IMG]

2. Egghead Jr

Egghead Jr In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    upstate
    it happens...unfortunately...and the bad part is once one starts getting picked on by a bigger one all the others join in too...and you can separate em for a day and when you put em back in there and they'll still pick on it...idk why...just mother nature at her best i guess [​IMG]

3. hannalice

hannalice In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Quote:I don't think it's being harassed, per se- the broiler chick is twice the size of these little Mediterranean breeds! I'm hoping I caught the problem before it turned into a habit for those particular chicks. Hopefully by letting the broiler heal up seperately, I'll have nipped the problem in the bud. So to speak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by