1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Sigh* Today is the day for my Turkeys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Black Feather, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Today is the day my turkeys get prepared for Christmas dinner. Now I know it's the natural way of things but I can't help but feel a bit rotten about the whole thing. I don't eat turkey or poultry, but I raise some birds for my family for Christmas and Thanksgiving. A friend is coming up to help with the processing with my dad and brother who are also coming out. I don't even stay home for the event.

Is it typical to feel so bad about the whole thing? I raised these birds form eggs with the purpose of being Christmas dinner. I just don't want to be around for the killing part.

Urban Coyote

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Urban, yes, I think it's normal to feel crummy about it, even if you've known for a long time you were going to do it. You're a compassionate person after all. Try to treat it as an academic exercise, and don't look into their eyes.

3. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I am so afraid of feeling the same way this spring with meat birds. I hope you can feel better knowing you have given the turkeys a good life and that you are providing quality food for your family.

4. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    That's pretty much the logical side of my thinking. They had a good life, they got to run around outside most of their lives eating grass, bugs and any poor other small creature they could get a hold of. Of course there's also the knowledge of knowing where the food my family will be eating this Christmas has come from. It's just I don't like knowing I closed them in the pen this morning knowing that I was sending them to their deaths. That's the emotional side of me thinking. Uhg.....darn emotions, ye vex me.

I'll do it all over again next year too. I'll just go for a drive for an hour of so until it's safe to come home.

Urban Coyote

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Your doing the right thing. If your not comfortable being there just drive away, and know that you did the right thing by them giving them a fantastic life, and by having them home processed a much better end than having to be transported and the stress of being somewhere else.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It's just a sign that you have a heart (not that those who can process their meat birds themselves are heartless -- it's just that different people react and deal with the situation differently). You understand that the turkeys are living beings and deserve respect and care. I wonder if you also feel a little like you'll miss these birds, as you've gotten to know these creatures while raising them.

Just hang in there... You've done your part, and now it's over, and there's nothing wrong with feeling a little sad about it. [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think processing birds helps us all be a little more grateful to our Maker who has provided them for us.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I think you have to look at them as meat right from the beginning, then it doesn't bother you so much.

9. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Quote:As much as I would like to be able to do it that way, I'm afraid it doesn't work for me. After hatching them in the incubator and raising them for seven months I get somewhat attached no matter what I do. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid and everyone is different.

My coop will be better off without them as well. Three extra male turkeys eat and poop a lot not to mention they were starting to fight amongst themselves. It's better off this way no matter how much I don't like it.

I just got home and I guess the deed is done. Such is the cycle of life.

UC

10. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    we were going to raise meat birds, then we weren't, I am too attached to what I raise, so, no meat birds for me. And the evil cukoo marans are going to find a home. they are mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by