Sigh- wet shipped eggs...hope?experience, anyone??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Aug 1, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I got some eggs shipped to me, they were destroyed [​IMG] . I had one that was smushed and got the others all wet, I patted them dry. Any chance they will still develop? Any stories of success, or should I not even bother adding them to my bator?
    Krista

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They just got some of the other egg on them? I would think most would be fine. I'd throw them in the incubator and just candle frequently. Within a week you should know if any are good.

3. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Definetely try incubating. Last year I can a box come in that literally every other eggs was destroyed, it was a huge gooey mess. I still managed to get an egg to hatch.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I had a horrible smashed mess on one order, only about 6 eggs survived but three hatched! They were bathed in the yucky remnants of what have been siblings.

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh boy. That stinks, literally.[​IMG]

How many did you get and what kind are these?

Ps. I just changed my screen name. [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They are Ameraucana, was supposed to be almost 3 dozen (2 shy). Only 26 made it without major damage, will candle tonight to check for cracks. I just haven't had any broken ones with all my shipped eggs so I never had this happen. 6 of 7 in one color was soaked and it's the one I "really" wanted. A few of the other colors were "damp" from a broken egg being close to it. My box was a mess so I dont' know if the others even have a chance. It has a big hole punched in the side of the box. It has to be the worst handled one I have gotten so far. Well, will see how they look on day 7 [​IMG] .
    Krista

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I had a broody hen whose nest got flooded-her eggs hatched-don't give up!

8. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    usually when the egg breaks and the egg gets on the other eggs and makes them not want to grow i would still go ahead and try just candle at 7 days

9. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    never hurts to try give em a shot i say

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by