Sigh, what to do?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
History/timeline:

Oct. 3, 2010: Bought 13 chicks from B/S/T here on BYC - kept inside my house in a brooder until

Oct. 12, 2010: Bought 5 4-mo chickens from a guy about a mile away - lived in a tractor way out in my yard

early November 2010: Built a larger brooder/box for the 6 or 7 remaining chicks from the BYC purchase

Nov. 20, 2010: Moved ALL the chickens into a newly-built coop/run area, they are all healthy looking, bright eyes, feathers in good shape, etc.

Nov. 24, 2010: Received 38 chicks from Ideal, put them in the inside brooder

around Nov. 30, 2010: Moved the remaining 27 Ideal chicks into the big brooder in a room adjoining the coop. (We lost a few due to a water leaking incident during the night
sad.png
)

December 1, 2010: Son says some of our chickens have bubbles in their eyes. Several die by the end of the year. The 27 babies are still ok.

early January 2011: We're losing 2-3 chickens a week and 1-2 chicks. No real symptoms other than sneezing. Local chicken guru says respiratory problems due to the weather, I know it's not a ventilation issue, and we've got a hover brooder and a couple of heat lamps going on the cold nights, so not sure it's the cold exactly either. He says take one to the state vet for testing. So...i took one to the vet on January 12, and received the report from Auburn last week.

I've had them on Denagard for about 3 weeks, did 5 days of 1T/gal water, now on 1t/gal. We've only had 2 deaths since starting the Denagard, the last one was about a week ago.

The vet report says:
1. Severe chronic tracheitis
2. Mild chronic conjunctivitis
3. Acute to subacute focally extensive interstitial pneumonia
4. No significant findings; brain, liver, spleen, crop, proventriculus, duodenum, pancreas

Histologic findings were consistent with positive PCR tests for Mycoplasma gallisepticum, M. synoviae, and Avibacterium paragallinarum.

Negative results for Necastle.

I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. Do I cull the flock and start over? I understand Denagard is good for treating Mycoplasma, so as soon as the vet called with prelim results indicating Myco, I ordered Denagard and began treating with it. What else should I do at this point? We've no idea whether the eggs are safe for us, or our pigs, to eat, much less whether to proceed with the plan to eat some of the Ideal chicks when they are older.

Any advice?

Denegard eggs are okay for you to eat, but don't feed them to your pigs. I'm sure most of the more experienced people on here would tell you to cull and start over, unfortunately
hmm.png
... You'll want to disinfect everything - every nook and cranny, and leave your pens empty for some time before restocking. There is tons of info in the "my chicken has a cold" post on this forum.

I'm jumping up and down and waving my arms in the air to get your attention.... Can you see me? I believe I have a cure for all your birds' ills and yours too! I am so excited about this I just hafta share it.

Go here and read. http://www.foodgrade-hydrogenperoxide.com/id30.html

In
fact, Google 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide and soak it all up.

Last year I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips, knees and hands. Up until last week, I could barely get around, had to give up my yard care, and relied heavily on pain medication to get through the day and sleep at night. I watched my mother deteriorate and die from this dreaded disease and I knew where I was headed...... UNTIL......

I discovered that H2O2 kills all bacteria, fungi and viruses. I have been drinking it (mixed with water) for 5 days and have absolutely NO pain whatsoever and I feel terrific. I have begun putting some in my chicks' watering system. It will keep them healthy for all time. I will still worm them regularly and feed them DE and Cayenne because they like it, but I gotta tell you, it's a miracle!!!

If you try this, you MUST remember: It has to be food grade (NO drugstore stuff) and it must be nothing short of 35%. Also, if you get any on your skin, you must wash it off with water right away or it will burn your skin.

CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD ABOUT THIS!!! Try it and see!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
The chickens are on well water, we have city water in the house.

Try treating their water with chlorine, or I am going to look into the H2O2 option. One of the Washington State members was loosing birds just like you described, after treating their well water she hasn't lost any that I know about. If you want i can PM you her BYC name, and you could ask her for more info.

Quote:
The chickens are on well water, we have city water in the house.

Try treating their water with chlorine, or I am going to look into the H2O2 option. One of the Washington State members was loosing birds just like you described, after treating their well water she hasn't lost any that I know about. If you want i can PM you her BYC name, and you could ask her for more info.

I would appreciate her name!

Back
Top Bottom