1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Sigh* What to do.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok, i'll admit, since i've started incubating (1 1/2 weeks) i've had over 20 topics on what to do, best advide, how to do, and so on.
    And guess what!!
    Go on, guess!
    You'r right! I am making another thread! How did you know? [​IMG]

So, heres my problem.
    long story short, i started with 1 egg, and 2 days later i added a llarger incubator and 17 eggs.
    I was wondering, what should i do when the oldest egg goes on lockdown? I was thinking i could move it to the small incubator and add humidity, but... I only have 1 hygrometer ( humidity thingy).
    *Sigh*, What to do......

2. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    buy another hygrometer [​IMG] job sorted [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Hahah! The only thing is my mom isnt really that into this, so i dont know if she wants to. [​IMG]

4. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I'd wait till lockdown of the rest, maybe try to hit in the middle. Shouldn't hurt anything unless one pips externally. Then lock it down no matter what.

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Are you shure? I have started to like this particular egg because it has been through so many tough things, and yet still managed to grow.

6. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I have learned that it OK to delay lockdown as long as you are paying attention to your eggs. If your special egg Pips then yes, you need to go into lock down no matter what. If you already have another incubator set up and ready to go now (and have for a few days) you can use it, but it would drive me crazy if I didn't have a hydrometer in there. If it's not been set up you'd be risking so much more by doing that. You could have a crazy temp fluctuation or a malfunction or a bacterial problem (which I know you can't help unless the incubator hasn't been cleaned) It would be too much risk for me. I'd rather pay super close attention to my eggs and what they are telling me than risk going into another incubator. Someone else might have more insight on this however!! Good luck [​IMG]

But...and I'll say this---try not to get too attached to that egg, because as the saying goes---

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Dont count your chickens before they hatch!!
    If i move it when it pips, cant that cause shrink wrapping?

8. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Yes. That is THE cause of shrink wrapping. Opening the incubator after eggs have pipped externally and dropping the humidity even for a few seconds.

Only before Pip could you move him. You'd would have to pay really close attention to candling them to know---the chick will pip internally to the air cell, then take a break, then pip externally. If you were to candle and see a beak or shadowing or anything in the air cell, either move it fast or leave it be. If you see a small chip or break in the shell in the air cell area, leave it be. If you are not candling, I would leave it be.

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thank you so much Barbedwirecat!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by