*sighs* Anybody else have a love/hate relationship with their job?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EmtheFishLady, Feb 1, 2011.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Most days, I love my job. I love that I can stay home with my daughter and take her with me if I want. I love the people I meet, and the feeling I get knowing that I'm making them smile and giving them something I know they will get an incredible amount of enjoyment out of.

BUT Some days I HATE MY JOB. I hate the 3:00 am phone calls that junior poured kool aid in the aquarium, or the times my clients don't call me in time and I can't do anything when I get there. [​IMG]

Today was one of those days where I kinda hated my job...I got a phone call at 4:00 am asking about gobies. FOUR IN THE MORNING. They weren't even a client, just some guy surfing the web and saw my site. Then after I politely answered his questions the guy proceeded to have a conversation with me about what fish he had at home. AT FOUR IN THE MORNING. I get that we're available 24 hours a day, and there's a reason for that, but who calls at 4:00 am to talk about GOBIES?!?![​IMG] I honestly thought it was a joke, but it unfortunately was not. I'm now updating my site with more pictures, because the guy specifically asked me to. [​IMG]

2. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yup.

Pro: I'm the manager and I get to work from home seasonally.

Con: My boss is my ex.

How's that for love/hate? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:Yeeoch. Don't think I could do that.[​IMG]
    I have a terrible boss too. Never lets me stop something until I'm through, constantly pushing for total perfection all the time...never lets me miss a single day of work....Also, my boss is me. [​IMG]

I really am a tough boss to work for. I expect nothing short of perfection. My husband helps me on the weekends, as he's trying to learn how to do things, and I'm just as bad with him. [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I hate going to mine but love leaving it!

Steve

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I love the fact that I have a good paying job. But seriously where I worked they own you. Close to end of March mandatory overtime kicks in, its not just once in awhile when the full onslaught of summer begins on Memorial Day it starts you can expect to work every day till until Labor Day and the some,unless you decide to call off and take 3. Not only that they can come up to you 1 1/2 hours before your shift is up and force you to work another 4 hrs for a total of 12 hr shift. Nevermind if you have children at home or coming home thats not their concern. They can also come up to you and force you in early for a 12 hr shift. They can't however do this 2 days in a row. You can't make plans with your family or friends for you don't know if you have to work your weekend until your friday. I like the people I work with and for the most part I like our supervisors. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate my job and I know a lot of people don't have jobs, but a lot of people in our area know about the work and won't apply even if it is one of the higher paying jobs in our area, and yes I work for a very big company that people know and buy our product around the world, and I'm sure there are some people on here who also work for them in other states and would recognize it just by me talking about the overtime alone. Just my little rant. Thanks for listening

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I HAD a love/hate relationship with my job. Note the tense.[​IMG] I worked in the animal husbandry field and enjoyed my position and the things that I was able to accomplish for the animals, the facility and my staff. At the end my relationship with management and support staff was trying to kill me, but it took almost 25 years to reach that point. Then a miracle occurred and I was able to take an early retirement.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    [​IMG] YAY for Retirement!

I hear what you're saying mstricer. I worked for a company that had hours like that as well. Although, I LOVED IT.

I really love my job. It's a really rewarding thing to see people get attached to their fish. I maintain an aquarium in a nursing home, and one woman stopped me this weekend and thanked me and said "That aquarium is the only reason I get up in the morning." Sad, but makes me feel good all at the same time.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I want ur job. oh my is the ice coming down

9. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:I want ur job. oh my is the ice coming down

It sounds like a great job until you realize it's a 24/7 job. I don't leave town. I am ALWAYS on call. I've left while my family was opening Christmas gifts to go to an emergency call. I've driven 45 minutes at 3:00 am to fix a leaky filter. It's really one of those things that you HAVE TO LOVE or you'd hate it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by