Sighs....lost three yesterday

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

First off let me say I know mistakes were made & I feel absolutely SICK to my stomach about this. I am in tears & was sobbing this morning...

My hubby is a h.s. teacher and is off this week & was home working on the house yesterday. So I had him let my roosters out because the weather has been so nice and he was home and Cash was outside...

So hubby starts working on the new wood (laminate) floors which involves a jig-saw. This FREAKED out Cash so hubby brought Cash inside. Sometime within the couple of hours that hubby was cutting and in/out of the house, two roosters disappeared. He didn't notice.

I got home at 5:30 last night & immediately noticed NO light brahma and one of my sumatras was missing! Cash was back outside then and I then found the feathers...feathers EVERYWHERE. No blood, no bodies, just feathers. Cash was laying on the board & looking bored.

Could my almost-4-year-dog have killed roosters all of the sudden?? I called out my hubby and in tears, I looked for bodies. Still nothing.

We locked Cash in the kennel and continued to look for bodies.

We went over & over the day and when it could have happened...Zach (hubby) didn't leave all day and was outside in the morning to feed/water the animals and played frisbee with Cash for about 45 minutes. Cash was in/out for a few hours before going outside, for the rest of the day. When I got home, he was asleep in the bed of the truck.

Anyway, Cash spent the night in the kennel last night (doggy jail) & when I got up this morning, I was missing one of my Golden Laced Cochin roosters!

Again, no body--but this time, not even feathers! The chicken wire on the rooster run was chewed/ripped and Barnabus was gone. [​IMG]

Fresh coyote poop was everywhere!

So we let Cash out & he was panicked. He peed on everything, whined, smelled the feathers, whined, pee and was frantic.

Sighs. The new coop will have stronger mesh and the birds will be locked in tight every night, starting tonight...hubby has been home with his .22 (brought Cash back in the house) and has been sitting in the truck, grading papers, waiting. We're sure they will be back--3 birds in less than 24 hours....

I do know that when we had a neighbor dog kill my entire flock last year, none were missing or completely gone. Mostly just dead bodies everywhere....so that was another clue that it was no our Cash...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  2. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    That's terrible, I'm so sorry. [​IMG] I hope he gets those killers.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

[​IMG]

Gary is the LB in this picture. He was my ONE hold-back roo from the last 3.5 years of breeding them. [​IMG]

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thank you! And so brazen to come when my hubby was at home?? And in broad daylight? We have a suspect...there is a coyote with a lame back leg...we think it's probably him because it froze hard the other night and then again last night--it's snowing out now...so maybe chickens were easier & not hiberating like all the little gophers I usually see them eating...

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    oh! i'm so sorry! many condolences. when i was a little girl, we lost a whole coop full of babies to a badger or something in the night. i'm so sorry !

6. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    [​IMG] so here is what i think. during the day it could have been a hawk. its spring time and they are making nest and looking for easy food. at night i would say a fox. i had a fox at least one i seen come in one night and i lost 6 ducks! i was told there had to be more than one and with it being spring time probably was. anyway i found nothing of all 6 ducks except some feather from one of them leading out of my yard! a hawk wont leave anything behind. they come in before the chicken knows it and is flying off with it. i have lost a LOT of animals this way. so i would say thats what it was. and if you do have a fox around it will come back and try to get more if he thinks he can. we have a hawk that built a nest across the road from our house this year. we say its because she likes to eat at the williams farm! sorry for your lost!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That is terribly sad. [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Put some welded wire fencing over the chicken wire. lk

Im sorry about your birds. [​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks. I've had chickens in that coop since 2006 and nothing has ever chewed through the wire!

10. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    [​IMG] Well its all over now, and they went to Chicken Heaven.

The rooster in the pic is beautiful BTW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by