Sight sexing Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melodylee, May 9, 2009.

1. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    Is it true you can tell the sex of a duckling by their bill? I read that if the bean on their bill is lighter than the rest of the bill their females? I've tried listening and this one is pretty quiet but....i'm not sure? [​IMG]

2. sbennett

sbennett Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Locust
    i'd like to know too - we have 6 and don't know how many are male or female.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    me 3....lol

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    this is a myth... unfortuntely... Some say that pure bred khakis can be sexed by their beans on their bills, but i haven't seen anyone confirm it.

You just have to wait and see who makes noise... If they sound like they are starting to quack, it's a good first indicator of gender. After that, you'll have to wait until you see a curly tail feather or you get eggs.

The only way to know for sure is to have it vent sexed after it's a week old. I don't reccommend anyone doing this if they don't know what they are doing because you can hurt the duckie, or you can freak it out and upset it.

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I have seen pictures and heard that the golden caascade can be. Someone
    on here, it seems like her name was heidi had a trio of them she was trying to sell. She said the lady she bought them from could tell them apart as ducklings. I found the link!!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92135

6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    When my khakis were about 3 weeks old I looked at their vent and by all viewing they look to be female. As they have grown in different stages I check all over the internet and especially this site to see ducks that look like mine at different ages. So far, it looks as if I have female Khakis. They are about 11 weeks now and are loosing feathers, but all markings, color, beak, seem to say female. Do some searches and look at pictures. I don't know that I will be positive until I see eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by