Sign of going Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TommyVT05, Mar 4, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hello Everyone [​IMG]

My Jungle Fowl hens are laying again. Each with 5-6 in their own boxes and are pretty consistant with their laying habits. Yestuday, at dusk, I went outside to check on the chickens and when I reached to pet one of the hen...she made this..."errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound...like a sound I heard from mother hens before, back in the days... <---does that mean she will start going broody soon? Sign of broodyness? [​IMG]

If it is....it will make me so HAPPY!!! [​IMG]

- Tommy

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like a broody "growl" to me! Congrats!

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Right on!!!: )

I tried to see if she does it again today and she did! She does growl...like the rooster sometimes when she sees like blue-jay fly over. Any sudden movements will trigger her to it too!!!

So...usually, within how many days will she start to set after her "growling" sound?

- Tommy

4. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Dont get your hopes up to high,Mine puff up real big and growl loud ever since they started laying almost a year ago,and ive got no broody hen..my personal experience..

5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Ohhh...

I see
    Well, in the past with the broody bantam hen that I got, when you try to grab her, she would kinds bend her legs and open up her wings...pretty weird...but I soon found out she kinda learned that beforehand so she could protect her kids. My hen havn't done that yet : (

- Tommy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by