Sign of intelligence for dogs?

farmchick897

Songster
Jun 20, 2010
Kentucky
I have 8 dogs, 7 different breeds and every morning I prepare their food bowls. Every one has a spot/location they are fed and that never changes. They are also fed in a certain order. Some of the dogs wait quietly in their spot for me to come with the food bowl others follow me around like, "is that mine, is that mine" being very annoying. AND the whole time I'm preparing they whine or bounce off my leg in excitement. I make them sit and be quiet before I give them the food bowl but every morning they act like they have never done it before. What do you think, sign of intelligence or what?

Absolute worse most annoying are my 2 Poms...
somad.gif

Best one, lays by her area and not a peep is my Bernese Mountain Dog.
love.gif

I have 8 dogs as well (all different breeds).. though mine share a big feed pan so it's down for them 24/7

I do make them sit and wait to go outside.. they have to sit and wait until i say their name.. i refuse to let dogs run over me in a mad attempt to be the first one out the door.. so they must wait their turn.. and every time a different dog gets to go first.. it's purely random so they don't get used to going out in a certain order

I have noticed a difference in intelligence and stubbornness.. the smarter dogs are problem solvers.. they are also the ones who sit back and observe.. as if taking notes..

Captain Kirk: "Beam me up Scotty, no sign of intelligent life on this planet". "Aye, Cap'n, what about the dominant species?"Says Scotty. Captain Kirk replies: "They're not intelligent, they're all enslaved to small mammals"

(ducks, zips up flame suit and runs for cover)

Nope, just a sign of lack of training.

I was very young when I went to a dog trainer's house as she was lending me a book to help me train my dog.

It was dinner time.

She called out, 'DINNNN-ERRRRRR!' and dogs, I think a total of 8 Dobies and GSD's, appeared from all over the house at a scramble. Each one laid down in a given spot, pretty much in a row, not one growl, and she hummed along as she mixed up the food for each dish (each dog got something slightly different). She chattered to them and they all laid there (sphynx position), with pricked ears, turning their heads and following her every word like radar...LOL. She put down each dish, one by one, and at one point said, 'Oh I forgot your supplement!' and went back to the fridge to add something to one dish.

The dogs that were eating looked up as if to say, very quickly, 'SUCKER' and went back to chugging down their food, and all the unfed dogs sat there and drooled piteously, but DID.NOT.MOVE. She mixed up the one dish, put it down, and put down each dish in turn after it.

All the dogs that were finished (they ate quickly) stayed in position, and waited. When all the dogs had finished eating, she said, 'Outside!' and every single dog trotted over to the door and went out the doggie door.

I stood there with my little ten year old jaw on the FLOOR. I had NEVER seen anything like that.

I was fascinated.

Back
Top Bottom