Sign Stolen?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleYellowOne, Dec 6, 2008.

1. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...apwacapitolholidaydisplays4thldwritethru.html

Did anyone else see this?

I applaud Washington for allowing something other than a Nativity Scene to be placed on a courthouse lawn; if they're going to display one point of view, they should display others as well! In the past they've also displayed Menorah's, which I think is awesome~

It saddens me that people would be as closed-minded to steal the sign though (I'm glad it's back!) your beliefs aren't the only ones out there, and we non-believers have every right to proclaim our thoughts just as you do!

SO any thoughts on this? I wanna see people's opinions from the other side of the fence. What do you think about things besides Nativity Scenes being placed on courthouse lawns during the winter-months?

In case you're wondering, this is what the sign says:

[​IMG]

ETA: Looks like the American Humanist Association is doing something similar in Washington, D.C. They began a bus ad campaign this month with a picture of Santa shrugging and it says: "Why believe in a God? Just be good for goodness sake."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    How exactly is that sign open minded? It is an attack on all other organized religions, referring to them as basically harmful nonsense.

That is close minded in my book....good grief....honestly....

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I uphold their right to disagree with the views of the rest of humanity, and to express it, just as I expect them to uphold my right.

My humble opinions, for what they're worth:

obviously there is room in God's universe for everyone since he created each of us.

We are here to learn, and leaning requires mistakes. A sin is a mistake that you would not make if you had more information -- the info that God has, for example. Our job here is to learn what is truth and what is right and to incorporate that into our lives and our very souls.

Hell is a condition rather than a place, which means it is changeable.

God is "All-Merciful". To me, that means every soul will be accepted into God's grace... eventually.

No human being has the ability and insight to judge any soul (not even their own) -- only God knows all.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I think if they can place Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc items in a public place, then the atheists and agnostics should be able too as well. It's freedom of speech...

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Why not word the sign in a more positive manner - they would be better recieved if they had a positive message about their beliefs than a message that is based on putting down other religions.

I agree, there is room for everyone to voice their beliefs - but let's keep it polite. (eta - that last sentence is in regards to the sign - not to this thread)

meri (who is wondering how long this thread will last without being locked)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:At today's going rate, I give it 4 more posts. Someone is mod happy.

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I like the sign. [​IMG] Everyone's belief's should be posted.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:No it states the other side of the coin just as science does. Organized religion is not always a good thing but merely a means and tool to serve one person or a small group's personal agenda...i.e. the religious cults throughout history.

It is freedom of religion and the right to choose...not everyone chooses organized religion or a denomination. [​IMG] So allowing something other than standard...birth of christ, santa claus etc theme, they allowed something else...that is very open-minded.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:It is not putting down other religions, it is stating a position and belief...nothing more. It is how the message is perceived by individuals.

Just as I can read one verse of the bible and 'see' one thing and you can read the same verse and 'see' something else. [​IMG]

How would you word it if it were your sign?

Just playing devil's advocate here because my beliefs follow neither the plaque's in whole or christianity.

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:It is not putting down other religions, it is stating a position and belief...nothing more. It is how the message is perceived by individuals.

Just as I can read one verse of the bible and 'see' one thing and you can read the same verse and 'see' something else. [​IMG]

How would you word it if it were your sign?

Just playing devil's advocate here because my beliefs follow neither the plaque's in whole or christianity.

I had thought about how I would word it differently, actually - and to be honest, I'd have to think on it a bit longer [​IMG]

I understand what you mean by how a message is percieved - my grandmother my great aunt (sisters) went to the same church their whole lives, sat next to each other in church, Gran played Organ, Aunt Vi played Piano, and they lived side by side, also. Now, Aunt Vi was the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet, Thought it was her Christian Duty to live as an example and to try to help everyone who came her way, Gran was predjudiced and hateful about anyone not of "her faith" (not to speak ill of the dead, but she was).

I find it interesting that these two heard the same message in church every sunday and yet took two totally different philosophies from that message.

I honestly don't know how to accomodate everyone - maybe we should accomodate No One, and save the trouble.

Perhaps Nativities (much as I love them, see my thread on nativities further down) belong on the Church Lawn, and not the Courthouse Lawn. Or on private lawns, at your own home (since that is where I believe Religion and Spirituality should REALLY begin.)

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by