Significance of cold vs. warm legs and feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjthink, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have a dear, much loved roo who has never been cold tolerant (but has always been extraordinarily heat tolerant). BJ is at least ~9 years of age and is especially adverse to cold this season. His buddy Ellie is cold tolerant but not heat tolerant, probably more the norm. So I heat their coop for sweet BJ - it used to be that he was fine at 40 degrees (though truthfully not less than that but bear in mind this is a bird that is one cool cat when it's 100+ degrees out and everybody else is miserable). This season even if the coop is 50 + degrees he seems barely okay. So I'm keeping him in the coop some days so that he can avoid getting a chill....

I noticed that his legs and feet are ice cold and Ellie's are toasty warm. Circulation issue? Other? How to help him....His comb is okay, maybe a bit pale, not blue or purple. He seems to get just as excited if a treat is offered, gobbling with gusto!. Poop looks fine. He puffs up at times so I know he's not comfortable, maybe even sick but with what I haven't a clue.

I'm worried about losing my boy - it's not even winter yet. We have had a colder than average December - daytime highs in the 30s and nights in the teens and twenties - a good 10 degrees colder than normal and it came on fast, and no end in sight, but I think it's more than that. BJ and Ellie only have each other. [​IMG]

I bought them a bale of straw yesterday for its entertainment value and he seemed to have fun pecking away at it...

JJ

(BJ and Ellie have a great diet so I don't think it's a nutrition issue....)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    add corn to their diet
    heat lamp timers

3. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    Quote:[​IMG]

Should their legs be warm or cold? Very good question.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Hi. They do get some corn in the bird seed mixture snacks (mostly BOSS, but also millet, corn etc)
    There are timers on the heat lamps for when I want them on and off at certain times. Right now on all the time since BJ is uncomfortable - he's better by mornings when he's been able to warm up overnight......she's always ready to roll with the day and wants to get out and play in the colder air, but not him.....looks like no let up around here through the rest of December [​IMG]

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by