Signs a Girl is going broody?

ButtonNomies

Songster
Jul 17, 2022
Hey, so I've not collected my girls eggs for a few days coz I wanted to see what they would do. Both have lain all 3 new eggs each in the same hidden spots. They're in seperate spaces with no access to each other. When Suzie my white lays a new egg she will move her previously laid eggs to join it afterwards rather than lay an egg with the others 🤷‍♀️ its pretty cute and Dustin helps her with this job. She's not sitting on them yet tho and am presuming this is because she doesn't think she has enough? I'm going to start marking them tomorrow so I can remove the older ones after a week if she's still not sitting.

My other girl Josie is laying her eggs in an old upturned tin container. She'll sit on them for maybe 5 mins after she's laid a fresh one and will chase the other juveniles away from her nest but other than that shes not as devoted to the job as Suzie appears to be.

Are these good signs tht my girls are going to go broody? Do I need to remove Josie from the main pen with Hopper so they can concentrate on it more? I didn't wanna stress her by moving her n undo her good work.

Thanks in advance!!

No, it doesn't sound like they're going broody yet. You'll know when they refuse to get off the nest for looonnnggg periods of time (hours), and when you come near they will fluff up as big as they can get - like huge poof-balls - and maybe "growl" at you. Still, I take their eggs and give them about a week of this behavior, to be sure they're committed to broodiness.

No, it doesn't sound like they're going broody yet. You'll know when they refuse to get off the nest for looonnnggg periods of time (hours), and when you come near they will fluff up as big as they can get - like huge poof-balls - and maybe "growl" at you. Still, I take their eggs and give them about a week of this behavior, to be sure they're committed to broodiness.
Thankyou!!!

Back
Top Bottom