Signs a silkie is ready to lay

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by makfrank2000, Oct 16, 2014.

1. makfrank2000

makfrank2000 New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Hi, I have two five month old bantam silkie hens. We also have two bantam silkie roosters of the same age. They all live with the other normal sized chickens who are 6 months old and laying. Does anyone know what age is normal for a silkie bantam to start laying? Are there any signs to look for? And also, my rooster keeps making little nest-type things on the floor and sits there like he's about to lay an egg.. Why?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The signs that a Silkie is getting close to laying are the normal signs for all breeds of chicken. The comb and wattles will increase in size, they'll begin to squat down when you reach down at them (as though you're a rooster), and they may begin spending more time in the nest box. Your Silkies will likely start laying in a month or so.

Your rooster's behavior is relatively normal. I'm not sure why they do it, but I think that they think they are making a nest for their hens. My roosters enjoy going into the nest boxes, digging a depression in the shavings, and clucking enticingly to the hens.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by