1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

signs egg laying is imminent?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slystr, Jul 14, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    My Delaware girls are 18 weeks old. What should I be looking for as they get ready to lay?

2. su-geek

su-geek Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2007
    Greetings! We got our first egg just yesterday, so today was spent with excited, anticipated vigil. [​IMG] Around noon I noticed that Colleen (RSL) was standing away from the other girls quietly closing her eyes and looking extra fluffy. She was very still and her butt was wiggling (what an obvious sign!). I looked away for about 5 minutes and returned, to find a fresh egg sitting on the grass! Later, at about 1:30 as the girls were hunkering down for their afternoon nap, she displayed the same behavior. We let them free range but Colleen hesitated. Although it seemed so unlikely, as soon as she walked outside of her run, another egg plopped out (it was very tiny and shell-less).

Two eggs in one day? Is that typical as they begin to lay?

Anyway, we're so happy!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    su-geek, did Colleen make noise after she laid the eggs? Some folks say their girls 'celebrate' loudly afterwards. I have this feeling mine are going to just quietly do their thing. I don't know why I think that! I want them to make lots of noise & let me know. [​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

A pretty sure sign is squatting when you go to pet or pick them up. Their waddles and comb will also start becoming a brighter red. And I know this might sound silly, but they "look" and "act" more mature... Sort of like they are becoming women! [​IMG]

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:My 2 RIR's alway get loud after laying.

6. sweetergirl

sweetergirl New Egg

Jun 5, 2007
    Wow, interesting posts. I am wondering how old the "average" age is to start laying- mine are 10 weeks old and I know it is a bit early now, but when should I be "expecting"? It is so exciting, isnt it? [​IMG]

7. su-geek

May 12, 2007
    Quote:Actually, she was quite silent all day. She just waddled off after laying her second egg, pretty much oblivious to what had happened. The girls have been squaking so loudly all week long, that we noticed something was different just by how calm and quiet she was! [​IMG]

8. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    My girls are 20 weeks - no eggs yet. I have even left them in all day, not let them out to free range to see if I was missing them.
    Still no eggs [​IMG]

Jess

9. su-geek

May 12, 2007
    I take it back- I think each chicken is different in the way they act before laying their first egg! We woke up early to the sounds of "Bok-Bok-Bok-BOGAWWWWWWWWKKKK!!!!" and found Elsie (she's a BSL) pacing around the cage, throwing an absolute hissy fit (granted, she has always been the high maintenance one)! She marched into the coop at least 4 times and would screech even louder if one of her sisters poked their head into the coop.

Waited about 15 minutes, heard a "klunk!", and there was her first egg. [​IMG]

10. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    This is an interesting thraed! I too am awaiting my first eggies!!

I can't wait. I have one hen whose comb and wattles have changed recently. Other than that, they are all the same:-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by