Signs of a broody duck?

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
Hi, my one year old Khaki Campbell hen left one morning and we thought she was gone for good untill she came back at lunch.. she spent the rest of the day with us then left at night. The next day and a couple days more this happened untill she was coming home at 3 then 5 then8. Now shes been coming home at 5 eating, drinking, running away from the boys, loud, and poops ALOT, then she leaves in 30 minutes. Today she came home at 2 stayed for 15 minutes then left I followed her from a distance to see where she was going (assuming she was going to nest with her eggs again) but my dog started following me and she got away! So I’m not sure where she is going but she doesn’t like the boys lately and is gone practically the whole day. I’m thinking this is what a broody duck looks like, right? In the beginning since she was coming home at noon and spending the day and then a few days in the was coming home later and later idk if her eggs would’ve been okay that much time she’s gone. But now, now she’s only home 15 minutes and is gone the rest of the day. Idk if they’ll even hatch, i guess ducks do, do it better than people so she probably knows what she’s doing! She’s about 2 weeks into it now. Should I not follow her next time? I’m just dying to see her nest lol

You better follow her and bring her home or one of the days she won't come home at all. They really are sitting ducks if left to brood out of their coop. predators have keen since of smell and will find her. When my OEGB decided she was going to make her nest away from the coop, I followed her from a distance and found her nest up under the second goose house in the upper part of their property. We had to jack the house up to get her out, Following year she did it again but my dh had just had open heart surgery so we were looking for someone to do it for us when we found something had gotten under there and killed her. I hope you can find her. She may not continue sitting when you bring her and her eggs home but she'll be safe.

Back
Top Bottom