signs of a broody hen.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dbrberry, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    how can you tell when you have a broody hen. i know this sounds dumb, but i'm new to chickens. i have a hen acting kinda funny and wanted to know if i should put some eggs out.

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    She will sit in the next box almost all of the time-growl and/or poof up when you try to touch her, won't want to move ect.

3. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    they for one won't come out of the nesting box.... [​IMG] so aggrevating unless she could actually hatch something!!! [​IMG]

I wish I had some fertile eggs right now!!! [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    If she goes to a nest area and sits there and refuses to get off, after a day of that you can assume she's gone broody. Once in a while a hen will think she's broody but after thinking about it for a day or two she'll decide she was just joking with ya and stop. [​IMG]

Usually though, once they sit tight for a solid day they will stay there. They will also generally puff up and "growl" at you if you go near them. They may peck your hand if you try to reach under them.

If you have fertile eggs go ahead and place some under her.

Just FYI - if she is truly broody I would move her to a separate, safe area with her own nest where the other chickens cannot get to her. She can then sit unharassed for the duration. That will also protect the chicks when they hatch until momma is ready to take them out. Some people use dog crates or rabbit hutches to keep their broodies in while sitting. You can also just fence off an area in your coop.

5. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    great thank you for the information. she goes to the nesting boxes a lot more than she did but she isn't staying all day yet. so i'll just wait awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by