signs of a broody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waw, Nov 19, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    help what are the signs of a hen going broody

2. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Usually the first sign is when the hen has a nice clutch laid, and she continues to brood (sit) for hours or even maybe overnight. My Silkie mama laid 8 eggs and sat for 3 hours, and went from sweet as sugar, to mean as fire! When they are ready, they will continue sitting on the eggs and their temperment will likely change. Just my experience. [​IMG]

3. Mr. Nappy

Mr. Nappy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    When it's time for all the chickens to go into the coop at night, ours have remained outside by themselves for another 20 minutes or so, pecking around the ground while all the others are inside the coop. Thought it to be pretty odd behavior, then a few days later they begin their campout in the nest box.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Mine got in the nest box and stayed there - ALL night, all day. We had to take the eggs out and push her out of the nest repeatedly to finally get her to stop. Now that they're in the new coop, and there's room for her to be broody, we wish she'd do it again.

5. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:LOL don't you wish you could say "hey, brood right now missy!" and they would listen..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by