signs of a broody..or sick chicken??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, May 18, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well one of my girls have been acting a little strange the past two days..she has been really restless and not hanging around with the flock. she disappeared into the hen house last night and refuses to come out today. if i pick her up she clucks (but doesnt peck) and acts like she cant stand (or won't stand?) there are two eggs underneath her and if i move her away, she 'rolls' back onto them.

does a broody chicken act like this or is she maybe sick??? i thought broody hens would take your fingers off (or at least protest a bit more) not play 'almost dead' if you move them?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Sounds like a broody to me! [​IMG]

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    oh no! my other half will kill me!

we didnt think we'd get a broody hen so over the past few weeks,we have bought about 30 chicks......and he's now said thats enough!

ha ha ha!

do i need to put food/water in the house or will she come out?

or is it best to bring her inside away from the others?

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Unless she's really dumb, she'll get off the nest daily to eat and poop. Just leave her alone and she should be fine. [​IMG]

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    should she lay one egg daily until she has what she wants.or will she lay a load in one go? im asking as shes not been there long but has 4 eggs under her..is she pinching the other chickens eggs??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by