Signs of chicken contentment?

Scratchychiken

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2015
South-West Tennessee
hello everyone, I have a young brown leghorn rooster named Charlie, bursting with hormones and desperate to prove himself hehe.

Although he is not as aggressive as a rooster my grandfather had, who would come at you no matter how big, small, or deadly you were, he is what I would call too stand-offish. Although he can be calm; standing next to me, or coming when called, he is still quite stand-offish.

Some examples:
Mock charging my legs when I am facing away
Jumping in front of my hand
Testing my limit by biting when I feed him by hand
Walking around me trying to challenge.

I am trying the "killing with kindness" method which is feeding him by hand, not backing down or stepping up when he charges, etc.

Anyways I have managed to pick up, hold, and pet him a few times for a good while each time.
Today we took a walk around the yard, after he was done freaking out in the beginning, he seemed calm and clicked his beak a few times in a sleepy manner. When I put him down he laid on the grass for a moment, then came to his senses and padded warily away.

Could his beak clicks and the way he relaxed on the ground for a moment be signs of contentment or relaxation? I don't want to give up on this rooster, I have grown quite attached to him.

Everyone have a good day. :)

The beak clicking isn't a happy noise its frustration. He is showing behavior that really dosent respond to the kindness approach, that is better for fellas with misplaced romantic behavior. Your guy is channeling those hormones into aggression.The others are right don't try to cuddle him or hand feed him just get in there and be the boss. Do be careful though that clicking is bad juju.:)

I generally maintain an "arm's length" away policy. If a roo doesn't respect that rule, He's invited to participate in a race with me. You run, I'll chase you. I will also carry a slender fiberglass fence post, and use it to herd the roo away. My roo knows his name, he knows what NO means, and when I tell him to leave the coop, he does so. I never hand feed him, but will drop morsels so he can then tidbit his girls with them. If he displays food aggression, I herd him away, and let the girls eat first. Only allow him back to eat when I say he can eat.

I think he is going through the teenage stage, as he is only about 7 months old, and he is a flighty breed. Hopefully once he ages it will help mellow him, but we will have to see, again thanks for all this advice guys. :)

Back
Top Bottom