1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Signs of feather picking in 5 wk old chicks? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reedyfork, Jan 10, 2010.

1. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not sure the best place to post this, so I'll also ask it under "Raising Chicks".

I have 5, 5+ week old RIR chicks. One of the chicks (who's always been the "runt") is looking pretty rough. I don't see any obvious wounds, redness, blood, mites, etc., but she still has some bare patches, downy patches, and areas where many of her feathers look scraggly and sticking out.

These are my first chicks, so I'm just wondering if this is simply a slow feather-grower, or if she's getting picked on, or what? I have yet to actually observe any feather picking behavior, and the other four chicks seem to all look "normal" and fully-feathered. Am I just over-reacting, or is this something I need to deal with?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!

Ron

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks pretty normal to me Reedy. They look awful scragley while growing. If you notice any obvious picking, it can be a couple of things, one being overcrowding and the other diet. Assuming they have plenty of room, chick starter should be in the 20% protein range with no heavy doses of scraps or treats to dilute it. If you do notice picking, simple Noxema face cream, or a Walmart imitation, will discourage that if you catch it before there is blood. Any chicken with blood showing must be isolated from the others. For what your pics show, they are in good shape. Just always watch them closely, every day......Pop

3. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hopefully she's just feathering out slowly... I have two males that are moving to a new home ASAP, so any crowding/stress issue in their box should be relieved very soon. They are eating Purina Chick Start & Grow, and they get the rare earthworm or mealworm as a treat.

I'll definitely be watching every day for any signs of picking!

Thanks.

Ron

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by