Signs of feather picking in 5 wk old chicks? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by reedyfork, Jan 10, 2010.

1. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not sure the best place to post this, so I'll also ask it under "Chicken Behavior".

I have 5, 5+ week old RIR chicks. One of the chicks (who's always been the "runt") is looking pretty rough. I don't see any obvious wounds, redness, blood, mites, etc., but she still has some bare patches, downy patches, and areas where many of her feathers look scraggly and sticking out.

These are my first chicks, so I'm just wondering if this is simply a slow feather-grower, or if she's getting picked on, or what? I have yet to actually observe any feather picking behavior, and the other four chicks seem to all look "normal" and fully-feathered. Am I just over-reacting, or is this something I need to deal with?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!

Ron

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Ow, wish I could help, but I remember my RIR's at 5 weeks and they were all feathered out

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    She may just be a slow feather grower, if she is the "runt" then she would be a little slow at everything. just make sure that she eats and drinks

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    As long as you don't see any bleeding, I agree with the others that it is just slow feathering.
    You might want to put some Hot Pick or something on the bare spots just so the others DON'T start to peck at them.

6. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

we had one that took a while to feather out. Poor thing was so ugly! Now, she is beautiful and one of my largest hens. I agree, if there's no blood, give it a little time and see. Keep a close eye for infection. It'll probably grow up to be the most beautiful!!!

7. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone. This makes me feel alot better! I'll keep an eye on her, and it will probably help once I find a new home for the two males I have. Should eliminate any crowding issues...

Ron

8. jayburd

jayburd Out Of The Brooder

I have 2 out of 8 with same problem. They are both small and have bare spots. I was thinking of bringing them in to seperate them from others just incase they are getting bullied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by