signs of laying.....

savingpurple

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
NW Ohio
I have been reading alot on here as I am new to chickens. My NHR are getting very red combs, and wattles. Now my leghorns are not, but have read that they usually are an early layer over other breeds? My ladies are about 13 weeks.

What I am asking is, I read that when you see the combs and wattles turn red, they are getting close to the laying age? But the leghorns are not red at all, and they are suppose to be early layers? So confused?

I know I just need to wait, but should I switch feed to layer at this point? I am almost out of starter/grower. Need another bag real soon, within the next day or two.

Any help would be appreciated:) Oh and I have 5 NHR, and 2 leghorns. Not all the NHR are turning red, just 3 of the 5? Thanks:)

I would go ahead and switch, the extra calcium is not going to hurt them any. You should switch a couple of three weeks before they start laying anyway or toss the eggs. I am switching this week also, I think they are almost fifteen weeks.

I think my earliest layers were 18-19 weeks when they started laying. Our Barred rocked "reddened" up and then did nothing for weeks. I think she took the longest to start laying of the non Easter Eggers. Whereas my Black Sexlink seemed to redden up over night and they started laying. Look for squatting, becoming interested in the nest boxes, and cackling. Once I saw those behaviors eggs came within a couple of days.

You still have at least 4-5 more weeks to go.

Signs a pullet is getting close to point of lay:

Really red comb, wattles and face (around the eyes)
Squatting - when you reach for them they crouch down and their wings go out a bit
Practicing in the nestboxes
Most of my girls got VERY vocal when they got really close to laying

You can switch them or you can buy another bag of grower and continue using it even when they begin laying. It's up to you. Offer oyster shell on the side free choice. (sour cream or big yogurt containers are great for this - nail it to the wall at their level)

Thanks
smile.png
I will buy the oyster shell and layer feed today at work. Knew I was almost out of feed,and sure enough as I went to feed them today, I am out. What they have will last today and tomorrow.

Wil try to post a picture of the really red comb and much bigger wattles then the others....so cute.

Here are my 2 NHR that got read almost overnight a few days ago, and caused me to ask the laying of egg question.

85019_img_2135.jpg

85019_img_2140.jpg

Here is the last one that is really red all of a sudden.

85019_img_2141.jpg

The wattles got really big and dark red, and the comb grew and turned read also!

My co worker got the same breed of chicks as I did,the same time I did, and she told me hers are laying the last 2 days!! I am so excited !!

My 6 reds will be 14 wks tomorrow. Saturday I found one small egg, in a nest box, yesterday another. I was shocked by how early, was not expecting them! They all have thier own boxes, and are on grower/ layer feed. Should I be doing something else for them since its happening so soon? I should mention I have a handicapped girl who is on the smaller size 2.2 lbs, who I am hoping won't lay this soon! The others are 2.6- 2.10, They are all sisters. Any suggestions? I have noticed redness in wattles and combs, cheeks. Wasn't aware of that sign
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom