signs of old age death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OkapisRule, Oct 28, 2007.

1. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    The title explains it. I have a 5 year old chicken that seems perfectly healthy, but I would like to know when she is about to die of old age.[​IMG]

2. OkapisRule

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    Here's a picture of her.
    [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They can live a lot longer than five years! For instance, 16 year old Goldie is still laying eggs! Don't give up on your girl, yet. [​IMG]

4. OkapisRule

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    Quote:I know that she won't die soon. I was just wondering. She isn't laying eggs, though [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    The older they get their egg production slows down and sometimes just stops.Im sure she is cared for very well so I wouldn't count on her dying anytime soon.Chickens aging is just like humans.They start to have athritst and their feathers might thin a little and just apear to look older.I think if your hen is fed good grain housed properly and is loved she will live to be Over 10 years old.

6. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Yup--Gus lived until she was 7 years old (she was killed by a coon) and she was still happy and perky! (And very bossy!)

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Lethargy, loss of appetite, weight loss, not wanting to leave the roost in the morning and generally having a hard time getting around.

Much like humans, dos cats, etc...

She looks very healthy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by