Signs of Overheating?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BarredRock971, Jul 22, 2011.

1. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi!
    So hot out today! I was wondering, what are the signs that a chicken is too hot?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They hold their wings away from their bodies and pant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I had a few chicks lethargic, laying on their bellies, wings away from body and panting like crazy. I thought I was going to lose them with the first heat wave. I was doing everything I could to keep them cool. I now bring them inside when the heat index is in the 100's.

4. BarredRock971

BarredRock971 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Thanks! [​IMG]

5. ruchickn

ruchickn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Hi, When my chick was panting I didn't know what to do but I thought It might be because they had lost some nutrients so I went to the feed store and got some vitimans and electrolytes to put in the water. It sort of helped, mabe you should try some. [​IMG]

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    It's my understanding that the panting and wing lifting are the way a chicken sweats, and are not necessarily signs of distress. Mine have been doing both, yet are still active and interested in their food and treats.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:They don't sweat but increase their respiration rate and hold their wings away from their bodies to dissipate excess heat. You are correct though in that those aren't necessarily signs of heat distress. They can do that on a nice 90 degree day and it would be perfectly normal. You can generally tell by looking at them how how uncomfortable they are. If they are just laying there looking miserable it's time to take steps to cool them off. If they are up moving around and eating it's probably not so bad.

8. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    What is the best way to cool off a hen in distress? What about if you can't take them inside?

9. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have been using the sprinkler hose on mine. They didn't like it the first few times, but now they just stand around and soak it up. I also gave them a small kiddie pool (in the shade), and I hose down the entire run a couple of times a day. They are doing much better.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I can tell a hen is really bad (as described above) I will put them under cold running water....

Our problem now is, all of the tap water is warm.

High of 110 again today, no rain in sight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by