Signs of Pain in old horses

13ChickenGirl

Songster
May 20, 2017
image.jpg
IMG_3916.JPG
IMG_4300.JPG
last Year in May we got two old guys in their mid twentys and we thought it would be a good place to start for our small farm. The kids love them and have fun braiding their tails and riding then bare back around the pasture. Lately the paint, (Blue) who has had bad arthritis in his back legs seems to be a little worse then usual. He's been having trouble getting up when laying down or rolling. What are some basic signs of pain to look out for in old horses and how do you generally know when it's "time"? Thanks!

Last edited:
As an owner of a 21 year old ex racer for the past 14 years I just "know" when he is not happy. Not sure what it is but the changes in his actions and behaviour are the main trigger signs for me. Disinterested in things, head hung lower, obvious lameness.
This is a good read ~ http://www.equinews.com/article/don’t-miss-subtle-signs-pain-horses

As for when it's time, I'm a believer in the cons will outway the pros for them with my own feelings taken out of the equation. It has to be what's best for them and their quality of life.

As an owner of a 21 year old ex racer for the past 14 years I just "know" when he is not happy. Not sure what it is but the changes in his actions and behaviour are the main trigger signs for me. Disinterested in things, head hung lower, obvious lameness.
This is a good read ~ http://www.equinews.com/article/don’t-miss-subtle-signs-pain-horses

As for when it's time, I'm a believer in the cons will outway the pros for them with my own feelings taken out of the equation. It has to be what's best for them and their quality of life.
Thanks.

Before you do anything drastic, you might consult with an equine vet. There may be some medications available for his arthritis and pain. Another thing to consider is a selenium deficiency. Is the soil in your area deficient in selenium? Selenium deficiency will cause muscular pain and is easily remedied by a shot of BoSe. Might be something worth asking the vet about.

You can also buy mineral blocks with selenium and salt...I use it...Also if out on too much fresh grass some horses can founder...I had an old horse I used to care for and I would give him Bute for a few days and that sure helped...Can't use it long term or it can cause ulcers....
He looks to be in good condition....Just getting old....:frow

Just a comment. Mineral blocks with selenium are an excellent idea for prevention, but if an animal is actually suffering from white muscle (selenium deficiency) the amount of selenium in the blocks is insufficient to effect a cure. For that you need an injection of BoSe. Just for the record, in my original post I was not saying that I thought your horse had white muscle. I was just saying that was something to consider, albeit a long shot. Wanted to make that clear. That said, I would definitely get the mineral blocks if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom