signs of shrink wrapped egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCanada, May 13, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Is there a way of noticing if my hatching egg got shrink wrapped, I lowered the humidity from a wopping 60% to 37% and I just noticed there is a pip on a day 18 egg. dammit. Anyone know if I can tell if I harmed the baby at this stage? I could hear her chirping and making noise in the egg and I moved her to a hatcher for now.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If your hatcher has a high humidity you might be fine. The signs are that the inner membrane turns a dark brown color and there is no space between the chick and egg. It is usually flapping around under ideal conditions from the chick respirating.

3. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:right now I only have a pip, I cant really see the membrane. anything I can do at this point? Should I wait 12 hours for progress?

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Usually if they are shrink wrapped, they pip but can't zip. Sometimes a couple hatch ok then the rest get stuck. I had to help one today, it had been pipped 24 hours and was chirping loud! I brought her in the house and gave her a bath, then put her in a small Bator to fluff dry. She is in there yelling now. I will put her in the brooder in the morning.:)

5. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I've had a few pip but not get any farther for 24 hours. I peel away a little of the shell and outer membrane and then shine a flashlight on the egg to try and see inside - sometimes you can see the dry parts of the membrane that gets them stuck. Just peel back more of the shell and wet the membrane with a Q-tip. Be very gentle around the veins. The wrap him in a damp paper towel (not covering the beak) and put him back in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by