Signs of when she'll lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chick1043, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have a 22 week old (or 5 months) Indian Runner hen. When will she start laying eggs? Are there any signs of if she'll lay soon. This is my first year with ducks, so I don't know A TON about adults. Thanks!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is she the only duck in the household?

She may be getting ready to lay, but if it is autumn where you are, she may wait till spring. It is entirely up to her. [​IMG]

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    No, I have a drake too. I really should be getting a few more hens but I'm gonna wait a little longer because I have stuff going on. It is autumn, however there has been no weather changed..It's been a bit colder here and there but not much. Some how she jumped up in the next boxes today and scared the hens (chickens) in the nests. lol

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, as I have written before, sometimes a pair gets along fine, but drakes can become too rough. That will prevent egg laying sometimes, and you could lose your duck girl, worst case. Please watch them closely, and check her for any signs of rough treatment, like missing neck feathers.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Absolutely! He doesn't seem to be getting "frisky" yet. lol Honestly, I hope he never does. She doesn't have any missing feathers...Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by