Signs that adults are too cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChlorophyllChick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    We have not had a chance to insulate our coop yet or to close off the extra ventilation from summer and I am a bit worried the coop is too cold/ drafty for the cold weather tonight. I am just wondering if there are signs that adult hens are too cold? They are all on their roosts with their bodies tucked over their toes, but they are not huddled up against each other, they are all a few inches apart. Will adults huddle together on their roosts if they are too cold? Are there other signs that they are too cold that I can look for while they are inactive at night? We have frost warnings for our area and it is supposed to get into the mid to low 30's, but it is not windy at all so will they be OK with all the ventilation open? It is not much warmer inside the coop than out, but it is dry.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Which breeds do you have? Or an easier question to answer is, are they all cold-hardy breeds? If so, then as long as they are out of the wind and there is no draft (moving air) in the coop, they should be ok with mid-30s.

If there is moving air in the coop, they will get cold, as this steals the warm air from under their feathers.

3. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    We have white leghorns and red sex links. There is no wind tonight so I don't think there will be any drafts, but do you know what to look for if they are too cold? Do you know if they huddle together on their roosts as adults?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Mine don't huddle together on the roosts, because they have their pecking order and they don't want to be whacked by the other hen. Leghorns' combs are known to freeze easily, though. Some say putting vaseline on them helps.

Mainly you don't want moist cold in the coop, as that contributes to frostbitten combs.

They stand/sit with their feathers fluffed up if they are cold.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My coop has a ton of ventillation so I'm good there. Cracks in between the siding & three big windows. I try & block the wind from blowing on them & they do fine. I have a harder time fighting the heat than I do the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by