Signs that my little (duck) girl is becoming a (duck) woman?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, Dec 5, 2008.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I have a Khaki Campbell duck that I got as a rescue, and I have never had ducks before. I've gotten really attached to her and her me by now, but she has exhibited some new behavior that just showed up this past week. From my guess of how old she was when I got her, she is probably about 5 months old and I know that by now she is getting ready to start laying towards the end of this month of the next due to the season. This past weekend when I went to pick her up out of her swimming bucket, instead of trying to jump out herself as normal she hunkered down in the water and stretched out her neck. I thought she believed I was a predator or something, but when I lifted her out of the water she stayed absolutely still instead of wriggling around or paddling her feet in the air. In the past few days, she occasionally does the same thing both in an out of the water when I approach her. When she does this, she makes the same chirpy sounds that she makes when I give her treats. My DBF laughing suggested that she might be "in heat", but I don't know much about duck breeding so I don't know if females have this or not. I did lift her up and checked her pelvic bones though, and they were springy and I could fit two fingers in the space. Any ideas if he was on the right track?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well, I don't think they have a 'heat' season per se, but it surely sounds like she was doing a duck squat for you! I think she needs a boyfriend [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by