Signs you have a Rooster or not...

Craftygirl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Nebraska
I was just wondering what early signs there are of identifying a rooster? I really don't want to wait till he crows. LOL Of course, I bought all leg layers but I'm told I could accidentally get a rooster.

My chicks are only 10 days old. They are doing very well, getting feathers on wings and tails, combs are starting to show up.
smile.png

There are a few things to look for. Size, who's the biggest? Upright stance, quicker development of waddles and comb. Depending upon the breed, you might have a different feather color or pattern on the 2. Initially, I don't put a lot of weight into who's chasing, sparring, being the food hog... My pullets have done just as much of that. When it continues and escalates, than start looking for other cues that say roo.

X2. But you'll still just be guessing at this age unless you have sex link breeds. I've been fooled a few times by young pullets who had me convinced they were roo's! But you won't have to wait until he crows either. Young roo's many times are very apparent by the time they are 4 to 6 weeks old or so just by their larger, redder comb/wattles. Hens usually stay very pale until they reach point of lay. And you can always post pic's here and see what everyone thinks.

By their fast feathering I would think girls.

I would say Chirp is a Buff Rock because she has yellow legs. Buff Orpingtons have whitish legs.

Hope they are all girls, kind of looks like they are.

Ooooh, good call. I didn't know that! Thank you! The Rocks were in the list of possibilities. :)

Back
Top Bottom