1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*** SIGNS YOUR HEN WILL LAY HER 1ST EGG!! ((PLEASE POST SIGNS YOU HAVE SEEN!)) ***

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mat2dong, Dec 11, 2012.

1. mat2dong

mat2dong Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Here is a video and a blog on my 1st egg!! LOL!! I wanted to share this because it's just cool, and there where signs leading up to my hens 1st egg that I noticed and wanted to share those signs with all of you who are new to the whole 1st egg thing like me:)

I hope this helps all of you! Please share and like the video if it's helpful:)

http://homefarmideas.blogspot.com/2012/12/your-first-egg-signs-from-your-hen.html

1 person likes this.
  2. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012

My girl is shooting them out now!! LOL:)

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    thanks i will keep watch and see how mine do

4. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012
    No problem at all:) They just keep coming now that she is laying! It's great!!

What kind of chickens do you have?

5. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] I love to watch my birds. I've been blessed with buff orpingtons, Austradorps, Blue Wynadotte Rooster,Speckled Sussex, Red Sex Links,Black Sex Links, and Barred Rocks.I also have a buff rooster. [​IMG]I will pay closer attention to the Hens as to how their body language reads. I do a lot of work on my coop, so I can watch for different signs.My Wynadotte roo has a different way of expressing himself at times than my Buff.I really enjoy my birds.They can be relaxing as well as comical.[​IMG]

6. Some hens will sit in the nestbox a while before they lay their first egg.

7. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012

They're definitely:)

My barred rock just started to squat, I'm pretty sure that means she's going to be laying soon!

8. mat2dong

Jun 17, 2012

So true:)

9. trooper

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] Yes mine do the same thing.Then one that wants to use that particular box will stand there and squawk and squawk to get her out. I've even seen as many as three get into a nest box at the same time.[​IMG] I've found eggs on the floor at the boxes and have actually found them out in the run,because they could't get in the box they wanted.

10. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there. I think the biggest indicator for me is what i call the egg squat. My silkie suddenly started doing the squat, you know the submissive squat with their wings spread out a bit like they are waiting for a roo, plus she was super fussy. She walked around all morning throwing a vocal tantrum, then later that day...poof a tiny egg [​IMG]. Her house mate a bantam Easter Egger also did the squat and was a tad noisy a few days before her first egg. Our older girls a Lav Orp and Red Sex-link also did the squat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by