sikie x sexing question. very confused lol

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LauraMH, May 15, 2008.

1. LauraMH

LauraMH Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    hi everyone.
    could anyone possibley help with sexing my 9 silkie crosses and 1 pure blue silkie.
    We want to keep the females as kids pets and possibly broodies (fingers crossed).
    I took some photos last night of head shots of each one.
    Anyone have any ideas. one or 2 i think i know but well lol

white 1
    [​IMG]

white 2
    [​IMG]

white 3
    [​IMG]

gold partridge 1
    [​IMG]

gold partridge 2
    [​IMG]

gold partridge 3
    [​IMG]

partridge 1
    [​IMG]

partridge 2
    [​IMG]

partridge 3
    [​IMG]

blue pure silkie
    [​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    White 2, Gold partridge 2, Partridge 2, and Partridge 3 look like cockerels.

Do you have any full body shots? They all look to be poor quality pure silkies. Where did you get them from?

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. LauraMH

May 12, 2008
    I got them at an Auction as week old chicks with a broody gold partridge silkie. They were marked up as being pure silkie but with having 3 that don't have the standard full black skin thats why I thought that they were crosses and only 1 has 5 toes on both feet. I can take more photos of them tomorrow on full body shots of each one if that helps. We were wanting to keep females, not for breeding but as poss future broodies and the kids pets.

4. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The "blue" one almost looks like a lavender, need better pics to be sure though. Also, silkies can be very difficult to sex before 5-6 months.

5. LauraMH

May 12, 2008
    here's some extra pics of the 'blue' in fact when i got 'her' Her breeder did say that 'she' looked like she was going lavender rather than blue.

hers a few more pics i have of 'her'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I'd say it probably is a lavender. What colors does that breeder breed?

7. LauraMH

May 12, 2008
    Well the breeder did say they had lavender in the lines. She is lovely tho and if she does turn out to be a he we are in a position were we can keep cockerals. We have 2 lads already and 1 of the neighbours even commented on how wonderful it was to hear them and it really makes the area feel 'homely' lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by