Silencing a rooster

Pics

Es_In_Miami

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Miami, FL
I have a difficult decision to make. One of my four new chicks is a rooster. Hopefully the only one.

He is a pretty awesome bird. Tame, allows me to pick him up easily and likes my big hens. They all share our yard plus an 18 x 16 pen.

We live in the city where chickens are not welcomed. Either I find a way to keep him quiet or he has to go.

Going away is a problem. I haven't found any takers. A few places are dealing with predator problems and have lost several birds. Tried the collar but he freaks out something awful. Even had a friend who uses one check it out. Luci does not tolerate the collar.

Lucifer (previously Lucille) is not loud (yet) nor does he crow a lot. I've accustomed the chick flock to stay in their ample coop until at least 8:30am. I have to be quiet in the morning or he will call for me. There is food water treats and multiple levels for them to hop around. My big girls are in a different coop next to the the chick coop. They're very quiet until they see or hear me. Then they too call for me.

Now, I'm cognizant of the fact that Luci will get louder and more active as he matures.

Short of building them an actual house is there anything I can do? I don't want to mutilate his vocal chords but I don't want to endanger him either.

Help!

Short of building them an actual house is there anything I can do? I don't want to mutilate his vocal chords but I don't want to endanger him either.

Take him into your own house?
Try harder to rehome him?
Eat him for dinner?
You already tried the collar and found that it was not acceptable.

Unfortunately, the options are pretty limited :(

Take him into your own house?
Try harder to rehome him?
Eat him for dinner?
You already tried the collar and found that it was not acceptable.

Unfortunately, the options are pretty limited :(
Thank you. Yeah, still looking for safe place. That's ongoing. Haven't tried a dark box yet. I do have a sturdy shed I can make light proof. Dinner option is a nonstandard. I'll build them a chicken retreat before that happens.

Back
Top Bottom