Silent chatter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chirping

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    One of my week old babies keeps on opening and closing his mouth without making any noise. Should I be worried?

*I just looked over, and I see that he is doing a little bit of it in his sleep as well*

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chirping

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I gave him some water (The were on the bed next to me) and he seemed to have stopped. Was he choking on some food?

3. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    That is possible. But mine do the same thing if they are too hot.

4. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chirping

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I doubt he was too hot. They are on my bed, nowhere near the brooder light, though is is possible, as the one who was doing that was nestled between the other two. They are laying all nice on a towel on the end of my bed. I am sorely tempted to let them sleep there/with me tonight, but I would be too afraid that I would kick them off in my sleep. Oh-they are all climbing on my lap now!

5. AdamD77

AdamD77 Songster

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Sounds like he was too hot. Ducks pant to release heat and this can look like they're trying to make a noise but nothing's coming out [​IMG] Mine do it all the time! It's quite annoying really [​IMG]

I've opened windows, given them a bath, but when they go back in their house eventually they end up doing it again. And like you mentioned, they do huddle up together which makes it worse, and remember they're covered in fluff/feathers which is supposed to protect them against snow and icy cold water, but in hot weather or inside a house they can't just take them off like we can take off clothes. I wouldn't wanna be a duck [​IMG] Just try little things like opening a window, bathing them and in general just letting them cool down, then put them back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: