Silent crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Avyron, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Avyron

Avyron Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    recently I posted asking about this chap/chapette on the sexing section...
    [​IMG]

half seem to say male and half female (I am at a loss lol) It is 8 months and since I have had it, he/she seems to go through the motions of crowing but makes no sound whatsoever. The def ladies dont do this? Is it poss its a proto -crow or just a weird stretch. This guy is confusing me so much!

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    can you put up a pic of its comb? it has female feathering and appearance but it could be butch

3. Avyron

Avyron Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

I posted the sma epic on the other thread lol... there is a lot of difference between it and my 100% girls... I also have three distinctive egg shapes/colour but he could be laying eggs simular to anthers! Was a little weired out by the silent crowing thing though.

4. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Could it be he is only just learning to crow, if he is different from the gals, it's a roo

5. Avyron

Avyron Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

my girls all have this shape. supposed to be eight months old but doesnt seem to fit as a boy or girl

6. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Ha lol. Then I'm not sure, but they are lovely birds you have!

7. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    At that age, and with a comb that size it's a girl, the comb also suggests that she is laying. Though I feel like she is older than that at least she looks it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: