Silent Roosters

red reaper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
North Central Missouri
I have one beautiful 9 month old Barred Rock rooster that crows like he's supposed to. I also have a younger 6mo old BR rooster almost full grown comb and plumage, a 6 month old Leghorn rooster and I believe another rooster that is almost full grown about 6 months old, can't think of his breed right now. Anyway none of these other 3 make a sound. The older rooster shows his dominance and runs the others off and or chases them to show them who's boss. The 6 month old BR runs on the outside of the pen and is not let in with the hens and older rooster because he's starting to run the hens and stir them up so I kept him away from the others. Are these other roosters keeping quiet because they are afraid of the dominant rooster? The Leghorn is terrified of him and won't hardly go out of the coop if the older one is in the run. Will they crow at a later age or not at all if the dominant one is around? Thank you.

It's a dominance thing and the younger ones are smart enough to not challenge the older one.

I had a RIR and a BR roo in the coop together with the girls a year ago and the BR roo would never crow. He just didn't dare challenge the RIR.

I've also just thinned out my Buff Orpington population and I had 4 cockerels in that bunch. None of them ever crowed until today. I removed the other cockerels a week ago and today my head boy finally took his place and crowed his heart out!

Sooo, no worries there! Those three smaller cockerels are just being smart and coinciding in peace.
wink.png

Here its one of our younger April Roos that has taken the title of King of the bachelor pad...He's the dominant one and all of my leghorns run a close tie for second.My much larger JG and older too has never spoke a word as well as many many other roos here.Then I have a tiny 9 week old that won't stop all day long.
None of my roos really fight..they puff up at each other and squawk at each other some but that's it....8 in one bachelor pad together
hugs.gif

I have a Salmon Fav that used to belong to someone else - she had about 10 roos and he was pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order, literally. He had few neck feathers or tail feathers. I got him about 2 months ago, and he crowed for a while, but for the last few weeks, nothing. I even tried crowing to encourage him (it worked with the BR and BO roos I had previously), but still nothing. He has now lost all his tail feathers, but there is definitely new growth to be seen and his neck feathers have filled out. I'm hopeful that once his tail feathers come back, his confidence will, too, and he'll start crowing again. He's now the only roo with 10 hens, so I hope he will come into his own eventually. I miss hearing a rooster's crow (although my other two kind of over did the crowing thing
tongue.png
).
Liz

Back
Top Bottom