Siliver Laced Brahma Project. Share photos and experiences

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
If there is already an ongoing thread about these gorgeous birds, kindly advise me of where it is. Or share other links so they are all in one place.

As more of us obtain these stunning birds, I thought it might be a good resource to know who's breeding them, and how it's going. So we can trade stock and breeding experience.

I am BRAND new to them, and admit that I honestly don't know much about them, or their history. I know "Big Medicine" developed them, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I know I drooled over several posts and auctions last year, and then I won an auction a few weeks ago. From my 6+ eggs from Danny39, I got 7 chicks! I'm looking forward to learning more about them, and how to continue to breed quality birds.

32940_230154_10150259429431203_689611202_9306492_3112394_n.jpg

Here is the first thread I could find on these birds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266650&p=1

Last edited:
Hi Bailey!!

Nice to see you with some SLB's ... I got mine from Big Med's ( Gary) last year . I have been in love with them since day one-such gentle-loving-HUGE birds!...Right now I have a trio. Working on getting 6 hens and a new roo:) I have been hatching them out since I started getting their fertile eggs. With every hatch- I put all their eggs in. So far, I have 4 new ones that are keepers until they grow out more-then I will cull again if necessary. I have culled ( yes-culled) alot of chicks thus far. As soon as I see vulture hocks-they are culled as it is very bad for the breed, a DQ, and almost impossible to breed out-takes years. Once they reach a certain age and I see no signs of vulture hocks-they remain to grow out enjoying 6 acres to run on:) I took on this breed for the love of them and the journey-not the money that could be had. I knew it was going to be alot of work and sad decisions ( culling) but it's what's best for the breed. So far, I've had my share of sadness BUT so much joy watching these magnificent creatures ( speed bumps we call them haha because they are so laid back they don't like to move out of your way when feeding and watering). Gentle Ben is my roo's name-he is huge! I have 6 more chicks that just hatched. Hoping for another keeper out of those. My bator is getting locked up for the rest of Summer...I will be loading up every broody I have with the SLB eggs for the next 3 months-the eggs are huge. I have my avatar millie Fluer "Einsteiner" sitting on 4 right now:) I'd like to hatch out another 50-75 before August is up so the chicks can have a good jump before cold weather sets in. fertility took a while to grab hold. I was getting eggs for two months and none proved to be fertile:( Now I'm at about 90%
smile.png
DH has completely given up his garage for me and is building me a new 25 x 10 indoor coop for them. With the addition of 5-7 more birds into that trio -it will be most spacious for them..
clap.gif

Watching and waiting for me to release the hounds!!!
25181_cimg5310.jpg

25181_cimg5301.jpg

25181_cimg5225.jpg

DO NOT LAUGH! THIS WAS ME AT 6AM!!! NO MAKE-UP IN DH'S CLOTHES HAHA
25181_cimg4804.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I had one that was within 3 weeks the rest about 6 weeks... I plan on letting about 30 get to be around 12 weeks old so I can tell sex. I'd like to keep culled females for egg layers. Allthough they aren't the very best layers they are so much fun to have around and would love more eye candy on my egg laying side of barn...LOL
tongue.png
I'll take a photo of the one with vulture hocks-he/she is about 6-7 weeks old now..VERY OBVIOUS!!!! That will come tonight~

Quote:
Patience is all haha...This is the first time I am growing out actual chicks as I got the breeding trio when they were 4 months old and very obvious as to sex...I have some Ill take photos of tonight as promised the other day..I have 3 different age groups going right now and more cooking under a bantam:) Where did you get yours from?

I thought about that special from Greenfire... Now I don't need it!

All 7 babies are doing great, including the 2 I helped hatch. I can't even tell which ones they were now, which is good and bad. I was going to mark them so as to not breed them, but they are just as vigorous as the rest, so I'm glad for that.

Quote:
yes, from what i can tell -those are vulture hocks:( That doesnt take anything away from thier beauty -per say- just not something i would use to breed if you show-its a DQ. Their whole legs should be wispy feathering not hard staright ones coming out of their hocks...It's ok I have them in my chicks too. That's why I hatching them out all Spring Summer and Fall...

Back
Top Bottom