silke bantam chicks and freezing temps died

gemtrem

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
New York
Hi, here in the north east it has been frigid. 2 of our smaller silkes passed and it is upsetting as our barn birds are "family members." has anyone else lost chickens in extreme temps? any suggestions as should the barn be heated?
thanks,
Gem

If they are truly "Chicks" then yes, they do need heat. You don't have to heat the whole barn, just where they sleep which should be also close to where they water and feed.

It is suggested a lot not to heat barns but it really depends on age and feathers

I put two of my silkie cockerels in a dog crate w/deep straw & pine or aspen shavings, a bucket of water and their bowl of feed in a heated coop cause its cold here and I had three young cockerels crowing their good morning and every time I came home or if one of the dogs had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Their crowing does not bother me, just my adult kids. I miss having Falcon and Hawk inside, too. I check on them often and their crate faces the bantam and EE fully feathered chicks and the chick's heat lamp so the silkie boys have light and company. The adult bantams fly down to scratch around in the deep bedding and to eat in between the crate and the chicks (middle ground area). I tried to make sure the heat lamp cannot be knocked down which would start a fire and the coop has windows facing East and South for sunshine and solar heat, too. I let the silkies out while I'm in the coop w/them, otherwise, they get picked on and I won't allow that. If yours were/are younger, I'd put them in a crate or cage inside the house, like I've done mine most of this winter. I've still got a cockerel and pullet inside the house because I have no where else they can safely go and I don't want to give up Falcon and Hawk, either. I was building a two story silkie coop that fits inside my biggest coop but that coop is a bit cold for silkies. The LF cold hardy adult chickens are doing well inside it, but I think its too cold for the silkies, even if they were adults. Sorry to hear you lost some/all of yours...

My Silkies stay inside an insulated room though there are vents for ventilation. They may get a bit chilled but we don't have as severe of weather as most people. It has gotten down to 10 degrees here several nights this winter and I lost 2 standard size birds that were in open air coops. Maybe the cold just pushed them over the edge but they didn't ever seem vulnerable. I have over 100 that stay in those and they have been fine.
The Silkies, I figure are a bit more delicate and I prefer to keep them as comfortable as possible. My 15 week old standard chicks still have a light on in their shed at night and I had to change the bulb to a 40 wt last night because it is now up to 47 at night. I knew they would get too warm. But the Silkies like their night cages to be warm and cozy.

Back
Top Bottom